Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrated with recommendations by doctor
RE: Frustrated with recommendations by doctor
I think so. But that seems to be only a temporary measure. Within a few minutes it seems like the machine is trying to fill up a blimp with air. Perhaps I’m not doing it correctly… Could you describe it more fully? And what is the machine trying to do that that would even be necessary?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2019, 10:29 AM)allanri Wrote: I think so. But that seems to be only a temporary measure. Within a few minutes it seems like the machine is trying to fill up a blimp with air. Perhaps I’m not doing it correctly… Could you describe it more fully? And what is the machine trying to do that that would even be necessary?

(I refer to bolded quoted area above, bold added by moi)

Hi allanri,

I myself use an ASV and have needed to use the blowback method Sleeprider refers to. Blowback is best accomplished if you're wearing a full face mask. (I've yet to try it with my new nasal ResMed N30i mask) When the ASV begins to blow at high pressure and you are awake or semi-awake, and that sensation of high pressure has disturbed your attempt at sleep, you literally blow back into the mask...pretty forcefully. This makes the ASV back off, and seemingly resets your pressures to something more reasonable for the current non-event situation. Speaking on what I have experienced, the ASV probably needs blowback to get it in line as it was reading a sleep wake junk segment and thought it needed to step in and induce breathing as it has registered breath holding as a Central Apnea when it's actually the user attempting to get comfortable and fall asleep. That's when I've encountered the need, as I'm moving around on the bed trying to get comfortable and then the ASV BLOWS. So I blow back and then off to sleep.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great - thanks Dave. I’ll give it a whirl tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2019, 03:55 PM)allanri Wrote: Great - thanks Dave. I’ll give it a whirl tonight!

You’re welcome. Hopefully it helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,720 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.