Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Well water and cleaning
Well water and cleaning
So I'm on well water and have been cleaning everything on a weekly basis. Been noticing some scaling on the headgear that attaches to my nasal cushion (N30I). Thought about doing a final rinse in distilled water. Anyone else with any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Well water and cleaning
I find it hard to see mineral carryover all the way to the interface between headgear and nasal cushion with the velocity of normal flow rate of a ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto, at the pressures I utilize.

Are you sure it is not fungal or bacterial biofilm build up?

Does it foam with the application of 5% Distilled vinegar solution?

Does it foam with the application of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide Topical solution?

After the application of 5% Vinegar and 3% Hydrogen peroxide with vigorous scrubbing, I do not see why a distilled water rinse would do any harm.

But I would be curious as to the actual cause of the white build up.

/
Post Reply Post Reply
I have well water. While I don't use it for my CPAP (use distilled), I do use the well water for room humidification in the dry Winter months. Both humidifiers, an ultrasonic and an evaporative belt type humidifiers will leave a fine white dust on furniture that is nearby. The well water is 'hard' and evidently the minerals in the water are carried by the water mist of the humidifiers. While one would think the CPAP humidifier would leave the minerals in the tank as the water evaporates, I suspect it may be carried in the fine droplets through the tubing to the mask. I'm guessing vinegar should clean it followed by a water rinse.

I would suggest trying distilled water in the tank for a few weeks and see how it works out. I seldom ever need to clean the tank and just add water in the morning as needed. A gallon of distilled water lasts a while and is well worth not having to routinely clean the tank of scaling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2024, 04:20 AM)UnicornRider Wrote: I find it hard to see mineral carryover all the way to the interface between headgear and nasal cushion with the velocity of normal flow rate of a ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto, at the pressures I utilize.

Are you sure it is not fungal or bacterial biofilm build up?

Does it foam with the application of 5% Distilled vinegar solution?

Does it foam with the application of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide Topical solution?

After the application of 5% Vinegar and 3% Hydrogen peroxide with vigorous scrubbing, I do not see why a distilled water rinse would do any harm.

But I would be curious as to the actual cause of the white build up.
I will give your suggestions a try to find out, but I believe it to be scaling/calcium from the well water. The headgear and cushion in question is only 2 weeks old so I haven't used them for long. They look poo perfectly fine before cleaning and then after drying is when I find the scaling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:22 AM)StratCat48 Wrote: I have well water. While I don't use it for my CPAP (use distilled). I would suggest trying distilled water in the tank for a few weeks and see how it works out. I seldom ever need to clean the tank and just add water in the morning as needed. A gallon of distilled water lasts a while and is well worth not having to routinely clean the tank of scaling.

I meant when cleaning the headgear and nasal cushion. After those items dry is when I find the scaling. I only fill the humidifier using distilled water and like you add water daily as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2024, 10:31 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I meant when cleaning the headgear and nasal cushion. After those items dry is when I find the scaling. I only fill the humidifier using distilled water and like you add water daily as needed.

If it is scaling, then your water is extremely hard. Try to rinse it with distilled water after cleaning. It should not show up if it is scaling.
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like scaling and i would rinse it off with distilled. or maybe you could also dry it off using microfiber cloth, it won't leave fibers behind just dont use paper.
Post Reply Post Reply
For our cottage where we have well-water, I use a Zero Water pitcher. It removes nearly all calcium hardness. You could use purified water for a final rinse or dip in your cleaning process and dry with a towel. Should solve the problem. There are no risks from some water spots on cleaned items, but I understand it's an aesthetic issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F20 leaking after reassembly for cleaning fearoffours 2 114 06-07-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  N20 mask drops of water in mask jake79 20 858 06-06-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: jake79
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 9 2,479 06-02-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: ashcaveCPCP
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 6,260 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 347 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 292 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 369 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.