Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face or nasal mask for 19/14cm?
Full face or nasal mask for 19/14cm?
My bi-pap pressures should be noted in my profile as 19/14cm which I'm given to understand is somewhat above average.  Because of that I've been told that I need a full face mask.  However I don't understand what difference the higher pressure makes.  If a person on a cpap single pressure of say 14cm can use a nasal mask or nasal pillows, then why does the additional 5cm of pressure make a difference?

I understand that during sleep my jaw might go slack and I would start to breath through my mouth.  But then isn't that a problem for anyone using cpap?

Additionally, since my apnea is primarily central, I don't think the machine is really forcing me to breathe.  I think the higher inhale pressure is more of a primer to remind my body to breathe.  The 14cm exhale pressure is for the obstructive hypopneas.  So maybe the full face mask has more to do with those?

I've finally found a mask that fits and works reasonably well for me so this isn't an urgent issue for me but I would like to understand and my doctor isn't the best at explaining these things and also isn't the most patient soul.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face or nasal mask for 19/14cm?
There are lots of people here that use much higher pressures than yourself with the Airfit P10 with great success, so that is absolutely not a concern. My preferred mask is definitely the P10 out of all the masks I tried. But everyone is different so it may or may not work for you. I would suggest that you try it out! It is definitely one of the lightest and least intrusive ones that you can use.

Your mouth can drop open not matter what kind of mask you use or you could get just lips opening up slightly to allow air out. Some, like myself, use a chinstrap to keep their jaws closed. There is also a "tongue to the roof of your mouth" trick that you can do to train your tongue that staying against the roof of your mouth is a good place to be. It works for some.

If your Apneas are primarily of a Central nature, I would have thought you need an ASV machine, not a BiPap to address them. But there are others here that can confirm this also. My advice would be for you to post your data from Sleepyhead Software (all info below in my signature) but you do need to have at least 5 posts or put a space in the Imgur link so that the forum will allow you to post the link before your 5 postings.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are asking about masks, please read the Mask Primer (my signature)

The other links contain a lot of info about apnea and it's treatment, also good reading.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't have to use a Full Face Mask. I use ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows at pressures up to 25cm with no problems. As far as mouth leaks people can get those with only 6cm of pressure so it's not a pressure problem. You should post your data with SleepyHead here for advice on setting up your machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kestrel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Kestral, welcome to the forum. Do you have have the Aircurve 10 S, or Vauto model? Maybe it would help you to download the free #Sleepyhead software. That would let you visualize your leaks to make a better decision. Pressure settings are not the basis for deciding what mask to wear. It should be based on comfort and tolerance. If you don't have leaks, just tell anyone telling you to get a FFM to take a hike. On the other hand, if you see a high leak rate on #Sleepyhead, then you might need to make some changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm not familiar with the sleepyhead software. I believe I have an Aircurve S10. I use the MyAir Website which I think is geared to that and one other device.

How does the software get data from my machine?

I'll download and install the software and try to figure out how to use it.

I've tried 3 different masks so far and the best fit has been the Airfit F10. That gives the best seal with least strap tension and it is the least likely to wake me up. It is so much better than the Amara View or the other mask I tried and can't remember the name of. I know it was a Fisher and Paykel. Part of the problem though was that they sized me incorrectly. I take a small mask size and they were giving me mediums. So no wonder the other masks weren't working. There's no substitute for a competent technician.

Once I figure out how to use the software I'll see how it likes the Airfit mask. But even if that goes well I think I'll try experimenting with a couple of nasal masks. This does get expensive after a while though.
Post Reply Post Reply
To load your information into sleepyhead you use a SD card. Your Aircurve should have one. Check behind the top left side rubber panel on the AirCurve. If it's not there than you can buy a SD card for around $10. If your computer doesn't have a SD port you also need to buy a SD card reader. Again these run about $10. You can find them at the big box stores, Radio shack and online. SleepyHead is easy to load and use. You'll love it once you start using it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I've dl'ed the software. Will try to read the sd card and play with it tomorrow or Thursday and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't seem to use the SH software.  Everytime I try to open the profile I created and click on the cpap importer, the program just hangs and the title bar says 'Not Responding'

I'll try setting up another profile later and see if maybe I did something wrong on the first one.

OK, Never mind.  I just had to let it sit for a while.

Now I need to figure out how to read the stats.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 103 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,230 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,617 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 703 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.