Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

General questions from a newbie
Question 
General questions from a newbie
I just found this board today, and I'm glad I stumbled across it! (I'm longwinded, sorry). 

Brief background: I had a home sleep study done on July 11 (results show AHI=8, avg O2=92, lowest O2=88). Due to constant daytime sleepiness and concern about safe driving, I opted for a CPAP. I do have a family history of OSA, my dad had severe sleep apnea (told at different times that it was obstructive and then central), and both of my brothers have recently started CPAP treatment (one for OSA, the other for very shallow breathing, don't know his actual diagnosis). 

I am still waiting for my CPAP to get here the middle of this week, but I had some general questions.

1. Is it ordinary to be treated exclusively by a PA, referred to a sleep center only for the study, but to have the PA determine the pressure settings? And should there be a follow up scheduled at some point, especially for insurance compliance (nothing has been said about a follow up, do I need to get one scheduled?).
2. Relating to the insurance compliance: I'm covered under United Healthcare, and due to a high deductible I decided to save money and order directly from an online supplier and paid $434 for machine and nasal mask with headset, which is a whole lot less than my cost would have been going through the insurance and their in-network DME suppliers. That being said, would it be a waste of time to submit a "claim" for my cash purchase in the hopes that it would be applied towards the deductible, since every bit helps? Same basic question as far as masks and supplies go, I can save a ton of money (very important for this single mom) by buying direct, but it would be nice to have it applied to the deductible. Also, how do I handle the compliance verification since I purchased the machine myself? Could I still get masks and hoses, etc, through the insurance in my situation? This is foreign territory for me, and I have to plan an afternoon to call the insurance company for details on the coverage for this scenario but I'm interested in other's success in my boat.
3. The air here in Colorado is very dry, especially in the winter, so I got the added humidifier. Then I read about rain-out. Any tips or tricks to managing that when the temp drops? I primarily heat with a wood stove, so it gets chilly in the bedroom. My dad was one for coming up with random tricks to solve comfort issues, like gluing lambskin to his full face mask (not something I'll be doing, BTW), but I don't think he ever had a humidifier so rain out wasn't a problem for him.
4. My machine has RAMP, which I figured would make for an easier transition into this, not to mention comfort. Is there anything else I can expect or should know prior to starting this? I sleep solo so I don't have to worry about the noise disturbing someone else, I don't think it will be a problem for me. I primarily side sleep, are those pricey pillows worth the dough or a waste?

I am determined to make this work and not have a four hundred dollar machine sitting on a shelf collecting dust because I failed to adjust to it. I am tired of being tired (although the midday catnaps at my desk are kind of nice!)

Also, a bit morbid, and maybe paranoid, but sleep apnea was a huge contributor to my father's death at the age of 52. His disease had actually progressed to central respiratory drive failure requiring a permanent trach and nighttime ventilator (which he failed to reconnect after using the bathroom the night he died). He had other lung and heart issues, some of which may have been caused or exacerbated by the SA going untreated for a number of years, so I don't want to mess around with this and would like this to be a successful treatment option. Thank you, whomever reads this excessively long post!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: General questions from a newbie
If you want help getting your machine settings right you need a fully data capable machine, I believe the AirStart is not one, it only does compliance data, if you could cancel the order I would and get the AirSense10 AutoSet. Read this first http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2017, 01:25 PM)DavePaulson Wrote: If you want help getting your machine settings right you need a fully data capable machine, I believe the AirStart is not one, it only does compliance data, if you could cancel the order I would and get the AirSense10 AutoSet.

I considered that model, but cost is a MAJOR factor, the reason I skipped the insurance and went with the cash option (even though it is actually financed). To be blunt, I will have to dip into my food budget for the next several months to make the credit payment on the one I got. For the next year, while my little is in daycare, this one will have to do. I will keep that one on my radar for sure though, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm in a tough spot as a single parent of two with one income, and insurance that is basically useless barring surgery or serious emergency. I've got a friend sending me some extra masks she has, so I can at least try several types without paying for each one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there and welcome to the world of hoseheads Smile
1) Yes, seems quite common and yes, you should definitely have a follow up, mainly to discuss how the therapy is working. It'll be difficult to determine the success rate without full data but I understand your predicament.
3) The solution to this problem is a hose cover, you can buy it but can just as well make one yourself. I did and it works fine. Just sew together a long enough fleece tube, wide enough to easily slide over the hose and connectors, then tie something around the ends, done.
4) The ramp feature will help you get adjusted to it but it's rather unhelpful with the therapy, so use it freely as long as you have to and eventually you'll probably just don't need it anymore. It'll help to have it set for no longer than 20 minutes

Best of luck and others will hopefully be able to answer your other questions
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

If you truly meant what you said, you really want a machine with full data capability.  It is possible to titrate in a data less machine but it is very difficult.
I highly recommend that you cancel your air start order.  I do understand your cost issue.
Members here can help point you to a suitable "gently used" machine that will be much better for you.

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)
    Current Machines to Avoid

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Note: These are current machines, there are older models that have full data capability that are available via secondary markets if budget is an issue. Please inquire on the forum and your questions will be answered.

(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode.  These are in general the best available machines
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation DSX500T11 is available on Amazon for $360. It is fully data capable and much more respected. It's made right here in Murrysville, PA rather than China. Seriously, return that Remstart and get the Dreamstation auto. Don't open your Remstart return, and if you order from Amazon, you will have the better machine in your hands very quickly.

You can submit out of network invoices for credit. You won't likely get any reimbursement, but it may count towards your annual deductible.

The Dreamstation quoted above comes with a heated hose and humidifier, so rain-out is no problem. I like a fleece hose cover anyway because it makes the hose softer and less disruptive to sleep, and it will prevent some rainout.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jjulian,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2017, 04:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Dreamstation DSX500T11 is available on Amazon for $360.  It is fully data capable and much more respected.  It's made right here in Murrysville, PA rather than China. Seriously, return that Remstart and get the Dreamstation auto.  Don't open your Remstart return, and if you order from Amazon, you will have the better machine in your hands very quickly.

I had looked on Amazon, but I don't recall seeing that machine come up in the search results. There were a couple in the $400 range with very poor reviews (one of the things I tend to check on pricey items), but I don't remember seeing a dreamstation. I will check again, and try a couple different search options.

I financed the machine, so I would have to check into cancelling that. The thing is, if I order on Amazon I would HAVE to use a credit card, which is nearly maxed out and does not have enough available credit, so it would be a huge delay in getting it paid down enough. I'm torn between my NEED for sleep now, and getting the best bang for my buck when I don't have the money to begin with. I completely understand what you all are saying, and I fully agree but my circumstances don't line up with my needs (do they ever?). I hopeful that in the spring, AKA tax season, I can purchase a better unit, but for now my hands are pretty tied.

To put things in perspective, I have $500-600 a month AFTER bills for groceries, fuel, clothes, and medical bills, with bills from multiple visits and tests coming in. It just doesn't stretch far enough.

What are thoughts on purchasing a gently used unit off Craigslist? How many hours is too many to make it worth it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the input, it's a lot to consider and I will have a better idea of what to look for next time. Part of my problem starting out was not having a full understanding of "data" and what each option includes, and what is actually needed for the best treatment. I really wish I'd found this board from the get go, but it is what it is. Finances being what they are, and credit options limited, I think I'm pretty well stuck with what I have for the time being. It's better than the dinosaur my dad used decades ago, and certainly better than nothing, so it will do for the time being. A friend mentioned the fact that new models should be released soon, so there may be some decent machines available used but in good condition that I can consider. If I get a Christmas bonus I will put it to good work, but otherwise I'll wait for tax refund, and you can bet I will be stopping here for input before purchasing the next one!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2017, 02:02 PM)jjulian Wrote: What are thoughts on purchasing a gently used unit off Craigslist? How many hours is too many to make it worth it?

Craiglist can be a good option, consider a Resmed S9 AutoSet with reasonably low hours, (less than 4000), obviously, use caution with any craigslist transaction. I've seen them for as low as $150
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 6,997 1 hour ago
Last Post: jean23
  New to CSA/What questions laokg 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: laokg
  EPR questions juniper 7 293 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 413 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 215 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 132 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 217 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.