Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going to the bathroom
Going to the bathroom
I have been using my CPAP for many years and just started looking at my OSCAR numbers. But I wondered how getting up in the middle of the night looks on the charts.

I typically get up, take my mask of and stuff it under the pillow to stop the noise for my wife...return and slip it back on.

Am I doing this right and is that likely showing up as various events?

Thanks for any help,

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going to the bathroom
It's showing up as a large leak if nothing else. Your machine has a smart start feature that automatically starts the machine when it detects your breathing and stops it within a few seconds of removing the mask. If you stop the machine for a few minutes it just displays as a gap in your graphs. In order not to disturb my wife I hold my breath momentarily as I manually turn off the machine and remove the mask. When I put the mask back on it starts automatically.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
(06-02-2019, 12:56 PM)Melman Wrote: It's showing up as a large leak if nothing else. Your machine has a smart start feature that automatically starts the machine when it detects your breathing and stops it within a few seconds of removing the mask. If you stop the machine for a few minutes it just displays as a gap in your graphs. In order not to disturb my wife I hold my breath momentarily as I manually turn off the machine and remove the mask. When I put the mask back on it starts automatically.

Well, I read about that "smart start" and I wished I had it...then today, I finally spent the time looking at my prescriptive settings and I have it - but its turned off!  Just turned it on this morning and looking forward to using it that way. 

So when you hold your breath it stops so when you pull the mask off it doesn't make noise?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 01:03 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: So when you hold your breath it stops so when you pull the mask off it doesn't make noise?

No. I turn the machine off manually and remove the mask while holding my breath. That way it doesn't start again until I put the mask back on. If you just hold your breath the machine won't stop.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 01:30 PM)Melman Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 01:03 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: So when you hold your breath it stops so when you pull the mask off it doesn't make noise?

No. I turn the machine off manually and remove the mask while holding my breath. That way it doesn't start again until I put the mask back on. If you just hold your breath the machine won't stop.

This is what I do as well. But, I disconnect the hose from my mask. My mask stays on until I get up in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I simply reach over, push the start/stop button, then remove my mask. I put it back on and start breathing to start the machine (with smartstart on). it may not be necessary but because I don't understand how the machine can distinguish removing the mask from a leak and I don't want to score a non-existent large leak, I don't rely on smartstart to turn the machine off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same as sheepless, mostly because smart start doesn’t seem to be smart STOP on my machine. It might work better if the minimum pressures were higher, but why bother since turning it off manually is no big deal and works fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure (resmed airsense 10 autoset user here) that the machine has any sort of "smart stop"?
I mean, it would have to determine the difference between a large leak and a "request to stop" I guess... that could cause problems (and additional apneas) for some folks if the machine was frequently shutting off & back on by itself in the middle of the night, should you happen to have an abnormal leak you don't know about.
Post Reply Post Reply
if smart start is turned on the machine shuts down a few seconds after the mask is removed. So it is smart stop as well. Apparently it can distinguish between a large leak and no resistance to the flow.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 09:28 PM)spirilis Wrote: Dont-know I'm not sure (resmed airsense 10 autoset user here) that the machine has any sort of "smart stop"?

The clinicians manual says

If you enable the SmartStart feature, the device will start automatically when the patient breathes into the mask and then stop automatically when the patient removes the mask. 

However, it didn’t work that way for me.

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 351 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] How should I pause CPAP (ResMed AS11) for a bathroom break? ThinMountainAir 7 13,001 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,095 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [Pressure] High pressure after bathroom visit Roamer321 15 2,123 02-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Roamer321
  [Symptoms] Nightly bathroom trips - will they go away? Loboix 18 2,943 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Marillion
Question Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP HughT 7 4,622 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs kimgh 10 9,199 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Last Post: rhandel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.