Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gotta sleep on my side... pillow?
RE: Gotta sleep on my side... pillow?
(09-05-2019, 01:45 PM)crowtor Wrote: I made a cut out in my foam mattress for the arm, best side sleeping I ever had ever since, don't need any special pillows.

betcha that won't work on my hospital type air mattress Cool
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got two different pillows on my bed which I suppose is quite bizarre. The first pillow I gort was oner I slept on a at a friends house and it's made from duck feathers. It just seems to produce the ideal shape to lay my head in but I don't know how it does that.

My other pillow is a buckwheat pillow and I really like it. Just a couple of turns of my head and I can create a nice space for my P30i

This thread has made me think about how I have my pillows arranged. The duck feather is on the side of the bed I prefer to sleep on and I wonder if that is where I spend most of my night. I might try swapping the two over tonight and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a My Pillow in the house... way too high a loft. I opened it and took about 1/2 the filling out. Sewed it back up and fluffed it. Bingo! Much better! Gonna check out the buckwheat, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
My P10 stays put on all kinds of pillows and I am a predominantly side sleeper.

But after trying multiple types of pillows (soft, memory foam, gel, contoured etc), I have settler on a very
Hard foam 4” high pillow that fills up the space between the shoulder and the head. Works very well and I wake up without any aches and pains in my shoulder area.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a couple of My Pillows at the Bed, Bath, and Beyond store. They are OK, but nothing special (to me). The thinner one seemed like it would be ok for back sleeping. The thicker one was too thick for back sleeping, but not firm enough for side sleeping with my wide shoulders. I did buy the little My Pillow travel pillow though. Stacked on top of the fairly old and flat feather pillow, it's fine for side sleeping with the mask hanging over the edge. I don't intentionally use it on my back, but I think I need to rotate it 90 degrees so I'll just roll off it if I roll onto my back. I'm still thinking about getting a shapeable buckwheat pillow, either hulls only or the mixed hulls/foam Pur-Sleep FaceFit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2019, 08:53 AM)Palmtrees Wrote: Since I was in my teens, I haven't slept on my back... it was always on my side (now I know why).
I have been able to sleep on my back since being on CPAP, but the air swallowing and the AHI going up are letting me know that I need to keep sleeping on my side.  I prefer the hose up at the top of my head so that I can turn over easily and nothing is dragging down in front.
Question:  anybody have a good tip on the best pillow for side sleeping?

You may have Positional Sleep Apnea.

I use just a flatter older pillow and only sleep prone (stomach) or stomach-side position. I determined that I have what is referred to as Severe Positional Apnea. As long as I stay off my back I have zero to very low AHI. I have gone from PS of 28/24 to like 17/15 and extremely low to zero AHI. I sleep much better than I ever have. Try self discipline before the gimmicks, switching masks, etc.

I am a strong believer that if you know what will make your life better that your mind can make the necessary corrections.

I also learned to eliminate hypo's that keeping your chin away from your chest is vital. You don't have to lift it way up just 90 degrees or so from your chest. Even if you are on your side a slumping chin will cause hypo's.

There are other things you can do to improve sleep like don't eat past 5pm, test different room temps like 68 degrees is my best, stop caffeine intake by 10am, don't sleep during the day, stay active, hydrate properly, eliminate distraction during bedtimes, don't watch TV prior to bedtime, don't sleep with a pet in your bed. adhering to stiff like that all adds to better opportunity to get better sleep.

If you sleep during the day, drink too much caffeine, don't stay active, etc., you like won't get ggod sleep with or without sleep apnea.

I started filming myself and saw where within 1 minute of sleeping on my back began apnea events through the roof.

I turned on the apnea alarm to 10 seconds as negative reinforcement. I told myself to never sleep on my back prior to sleeping. When the alarm went off I returned to the prone position. I was actually surprised that within a week the alarms reduced greatly. Then I went to 20 second alarms and back to 10 seconds. Now I might have one alarm at 10 second setting a week and my AHI is below 0.5 to 0.0. I think my 90 day average is like 1.2 or lower.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-yourself

Filming yourself will let you see events happening and let you see what is occurring during the events.

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also an obligatory side sleeper. On my back, I'll have obstructive events at any pressure. I've tried a number of pillows, including a buckwheat pillow. What has worked best for me is a "hybrid" memory foam pillow that's quilted on one side. I don't remember where I got it, but it's pretty similar to what AshSF described above. What I don't want is anything that my head sinks into, which tends to knock the headgear (nasal pillows) out of position. I'm not thrilled with the feel of plain memory foam, so this hybrid design works pretty well.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for all the replies. I can see that sleeping on my back is a big problem for me. Now, that I have adjusted the pillow and am sleeping on my side, things are much better. I also was using a medium size headgear and it turns out that it was too big. Was sliding around on my head. Changed to a small and much less leaking, slippage, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like some success there. Congrats.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Pillow... works great for falling asleep on my back and then I will roll onto my side during the night.
Fluff it up before using and its ready to go. I toss it in the dryer once a month to freshen it up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,861 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.