Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Guide to choosing APAP machine
Guide to choosing APAP machine
Hi, I'm trying to find a guide of some sort for how to choose between the different APAP machines available. Specifically, I'm trying to find one that has the most data recording capability (I've been on CPAP therapy for 3 months with no improvement in symptoms and am trying to understand why). I know the algorithms also differ in terms of how sensitive they are to restrictions in flow; is there any guidance on how the algorithms of different machines differ and which are most sensitive?  Thanks for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Guide to choosing APAP machine
Check your other thread. Links from Bonjour and myself on how to choose a machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...a-to-graph

As far as algorithms, Respironics machines are known to react a little slower than ResMed machines.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed airsence Autoset for Her is the only auto clap with three distinct algorithms That's your machine unless you want to post some data and then perhaps we can help you optimize what you have.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2017, 03:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Resmed airsence Autoset for Her is the only auto clap with three distinct algorithms   That's your machine unless you want to post some data and then perhaps we can help you optimize what you have.

Agree

The only exception is if cost is a factor and then the DreamStation Auto is cheaper (but has a slower algorithm)
Post Reply Post Reply
Very likely that any Resmed machines bought on Amazon will have zero warranty, as Resmed is very controlling of its resellers, and a reseller couldn't fix it anyway.

I would get a Dreamstation. Yes, response time might be slightly slower, but it can also be beneficial in some cases, like RERAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a follow-up with my doctor and tried to get a prescription for an APAP machine (currently just have basic Resmed Airsense CPAP machine), but he said he doesn't use those for any of his patients anymore because he claims the algorithms are not sensitive enough to be beneficial, particularly for my form of apnea which is primarily hypopneas without oxygen desaturations. I just wanted to see what members of this board think about that, as the APAPs just make more sense to me (to account for changes in sleep positions and different oxygen needs due to colds/allergies, medications, etc.) - In particular, I'm having a lot of issues with air swallowing, and it seems an APAP would help so that it's not set to the highest pressure all night if I only need that pressure for a small fraction of the night). 

Any thoughts regarding this question of what type of apnea the APAP machines work best/worst for would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP is effective for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Your Doctor is living in the stone age. Might want to switch Doctors.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2017, 03:00 PM)slarai Wrote: I had a follow-up with my doctor and tried to get a prescription for an APAP machine (currently just have basic Resmed Airsense CPAP machine), but he said he doesn't use those for any of his patients anymore because he claims the algorithms are not sensitive enough to be beneficial...

IMO. There's something wrong with this doctor's reasoning. Plus he's being arrogant and patronizing: he evidently doesn't believe that patients ought to be co-participants in the medical management process.

Is that a sleep doc or PCP? If sleep doc, maybe you could get a prescription from your PCP?

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
First the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has multiple auto algorithms for treating apnea, hypopnea and flow limitation. Your doctor's information is false or misinformed. Second the Autoset is capable of providing data and will do the same CPAP mode that the "brick" provides. Finally, the Elite CPAP model at least provides data so you can see the hypopnea and whether the therapy is effective. Your doctor is flat wrong on this and either does not want you involved in your own therapy, or has no knowledge of the machines...insist on something with data. Treatment that cannot be measured is called faith. How much do you have?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, is there a complete list of all of the APAP machines available today? Its difficult to determine which machines are APAP and which are CPAP when you look at product descriptions available online.

Thanks,

JD
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,012 7 hours ago
Last Post: Poolboy
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 898 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 636 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.