Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Guide to choosing APAP machine
RE: Guide to choosing APAP machine
(09-06-2017, 11:12 AM)jdftwrth97 Wrote: Hi, is there a complete list of all of the APAP machines available today? Its difficult to determine which machines are APAP and which are CPAP when you look at product descriptions available online.

Thanks,

JD

in a word no.

Read http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...AP_-_BIPAP
which is contained in http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success  in my signature.
(Tons of good info there)

(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode.  These are in general the best available machines

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• ResMed AirCurve 10, all models

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37211) (E0601, E0562) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel))

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro (DSX600x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto Machine (DSX700x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP, Auto BiPAP) (best choice)
Current Machines to Avoid

• Any ResMed AirStart (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Note: These are current machines, there are older models that have full data capability that are available via secondary markets if budget is an issue. Please inquire on the forum and your questions will be answered.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a prescription from my doctor for an auto-BiPAP but am still very confused about the differences in the available models. From the previous post, what are the differences between these two machines (both of which are auto-BiPAPs it looks like)?

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37211) (E0601, E0562) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel))

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)
Also, how do the ResMed AirCurve machines compare with the Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto Machine?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Slarai, the Aircurve 10 VAuto is a bilevel positive air pressure (PAP) machine that provides a separate inhale (IPAP) and exhae (EPAP) pressure. The difference between IPAP-EPAP is called pressure support PS, and the VAuto lets you set a single PS which is maintained all the time. For example if you set the minimum EPAP at 9.0 cm and set PS to 4, you will start at a pressure of 13/9. If you set the maximum IPAP higher than 13 then the pressure will increase if you have obstructive events to pressures like 14/10, 15/11 etc. up to the maximum IPAP.

The Aircurve 10 ASV is an adaptive servo ventilator used for treating central apnea, complex apnea and periodic breathing including Cheyne-Stokes respiration. This machine is designed to help patients take a breath when they have central apnea or low inspiratory volume. This machine is much more expensive and changes PS on a breath by breath basis. The EPAP is set at a level to prevent obstructive apnea, and a minimum and maximum PS is used, where the minimum PS is mainly for comfort and the maximum PS is high enough to cause a breath when the patient does not breath spontaneously.

I can post some additional graphs, but your needs dictate which machine to get. If your prescription is not for an ASV, and you don't have central or mixed apnea, then the one you want is the VAuto. If you do have complex or centrals get the ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to buy an apap soon, why is the resmed better than the dreamstation? Liking the dreamstation so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 08:16 PM)Kryogen Wrote: I need to buy an apap soon, why is the resmed better than the dreamstation? Liking the dreamstation so far.

Both are good machines with full data capability.  The Resmed Autoset responds faster and more effectively to obstructive apnea precursors and prevents apnea from a lower pressure than the Philips Dreamstation Auto, which works fine if you set the minimum pressure high enough to be effective.  The Resmed offers true bilevel exhale pressure relief with lower pressure through the exhale and an increasing pressure during inhale to the CPAP pressure, while Philips uses brief pressure decreases to "round out" the pressure changes. 

My observation is that the Resmed tends to work better and more comfortably for more people, with lower minimum pressure.  Both machines are however effective auto CPAPs when properly setup.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
why do my local shop push for philips? I wasnt given a choice.
If resmed is better I want resmed....
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want ResMed, then you will have to shop around to see where it is offered in your area.
I know Canada is different than the US, so hard to advise.

Here in the states, I'm finding that my local DME recently stopped selling all ResMed products, so I have to look elsewhere if that's what I want.

You aren't limited to shop in one place.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kryogen, you don't mention which province you are in. I'm in Ontario, and the gov't ADP program covers part of my cost, and insurance paid the rest. Every province is different, (of course).In Ontario, to use the ADP money you have to buy from an approved supplier.

In any event my DME admits that they are mostly a ResMed shop; although they handle both ResMed and Respironics, they are most familiar with ResMed products. Every store can be different, so you'll have to check around, perhaps online as well. I think it's easier to find masks if you can look them over and try them on in a store, however. I'm in a big city, so that's easy for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quebec. Private work insurance covers 80% every 4 years
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how many CPAP suppliers there are in your area, but I would search around. Perhaps your insurance company has a list of CPAP dealers that they deal with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 369 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 586 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.