Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone ever tried making their own mask?
RE: Has anyone ever tried making their own mask?
"They do a laser scan of your face to form a 3D digital model, then 3D print a mask to suit."

Mass produced masks are based on typical shapes and sizes. I use the largest pillow available for my F&P Bravida, but I think it's too small. There are 3D printers that work with flexible polymers, but the common ones (like what I have access to) use rigid plastic. But you could use it to make a mold for silicone. Thingiverse has some interesting things, but they are crude.
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember there was a children's toy which let you make molded creatures of a soft rubbery substance. When cooled, they jiggled.

I just web searched for "custom plastic molding". There seem to be a lot of companies one might contact.

There are also custom mask products available, in silicone, for costuming, which could be another resource.

Other thoughts for mask seal around the edges:
Denture adhesive
Spirit gum used in stage makeup

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
How about the vintage kids device called Vac U Former?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I remember there was a children's toy which let you make molded creatures of a soft rubbery substance. When cooled, they jiggled."

I think Beej is reffering to a "Thing Maker". There was also a version that combined the Thing Maker and a Vacuform.
Post Reply Post Reply
Creepy crawlers.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an oldish post, but I'd like to keep it alive, as I've been giving much thought to the subject....

Some ideas:

(1) There are a number of devices which depress the tongue, without somehow causing the Gag reflex..

It seems that a key is being able to make the "Snore" noise at will. If you relax your throat you can simulate snoring and thus get an idea of what is happening when you are asleep.

If some device could prevent your tongue falling back (so you can't make the snore noise) then that problem is solved.
For example see "The Full Breath Solution with Dr. Bryan Keropian" on Youtube.

I would like to make a mold of my teeth with a wire loop (adjustable externally) to experiment with what is tolerable.

And then there's the "AVEOtsd" which uses suction to hold the tongue forward
Do a search for "AVEOtsd" on Youtube.

(2) If sleeping on your back causes your tongue to fall back and close your throat, then it seems that sleeping in your front would keep it open, at least to some extent. Perhaps a bed built like a massage table with a hole for your face would be worth trying.

RNeil mentioned something like this above, I would love to hear more.

(3) I would really like to mold my own full face mask. None I've tried so far come close to fitting correctly.

(4) The necessary CO2 leak could easily by obtained by using the elbow from a ResMed face mask, plus part of the Resmed mask.

I have many other ideas...

Any others interested?

..........Zim
Post Reply Post Reply
"(2) If sleeping on your back causes your tongue to fall back and close your throat, then it seems that sleeping in your front would keep it open, at least to some extent. Perhaps a bed built like a massage table with a hole for your face would be worth trying.

RNeil mentioned something like this above, I would love to hear more."

I started with 12" x 12" polyethylene foam cushion sheets for packing dishes that I happened to have. I had a stack of 20 sheets. I made cutouts for my face and for a tube to connect to the machine. I put an old towel on it with a cut out for my nose. I also thought that it would be better to have the air entering on one side and the exhaust vent on the other. I used a small amount of glue between the layers. I did not have a good way to connect the tube. I was noisy and too uncomfortable for long term use.

It would be better to start with a solid block of foam and to glue on a tube that could flex with the foam.
Post Reply Post Reply
To the OP...

Are you aware that DreamWear has different sizes of frame pieces? Have you experimented with their larger frame pieces (not just the cushion/FFM)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2019, 03:38 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: A Singapore company advertises custom masks, but their website hasn't been updated in a long time so I don't know if they are actually achieving anything. Search for Inspirate Medical.

They do a laser scan of your face to form a 3D digital model, then 3D print a mask to suit.

I shot them a message and we'll see. At $239, for a nasal and full mask, I think that's worth it (but only if it means no leaks and strong comfort).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2019, 03:10 AM)vroomvroom Wrote: I shot them a message and we'll see. At $239, for a nasal and full mask, I think that's worth it (but only if it means no leaks and strong comfort).

Certainly a comfortable leak-free fit is the goal, but there is the added bonus of no marks (or at least less noticeable marks) on the face in the morning. This a a huge factor for many people and could end up being one of the major selling points if services like this go mainstream.

I really hope it's the wave of the future.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 288 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 851 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.