Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Head Elevation
Head Elevation
For those who have to elevate their heads when sleeping due to medical or physical reasons, about how much is that elevation? I have a new hospital bed and trying to get the right setting. Too steep and I can't keep my covers on, and too low defeats the purpose. I'm wondering if, when using degrees, somewhere between 20% to 35% is best, or more. I also just got a collar I started using last night, trying to bring Obstructives down. It seems to have helped, some but think angle would also be a factor.  Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Head Elevation
adjust the bed to where you are the most comfortable sleeping. don't worry about the degree of the angle. I've slept on a wedge for many many years.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Adjust for comfort, that's what I do with my hospital bed. I adjust the head and foot tilt and the air mattress firmness and the alternating pressure timing controls as comfort dictates.

You won't need this sign, trust me. If you do though you'll probably fall out of bed.

[Image: KtW3Ll1.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I started out much closer to flat than I had, and sleep was better. I was able to sleep on my right side more, so overall events were down some. I go up from there if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
It didn't really help me. What helps a little is side sleeping but i am still symptomatic
Post Reply Post Reply
I have congestive heart failure, and was given a hospital bed so i could be elevated, and on my back. The sleeping on my back seems to be what is giving me the grief. I went from 127 obstructive apneas earlier in the week, mostly on my back, to 0 last night, with sleeping mostly on my side. That's really was the reason I asked. Maybe at this point, I need to sleep on my side while possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have an adjustable bed. My husband has Congestive Heart Failure and I have OSA. We just played with the elevation until we found one right for both of us. Too high…we both have backaches…too low and sleep is interrupted. I think everyone must have their own Goldilocks Zone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Central Sleep Apnea at high elevation knuddr 24 2,348 02-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] CPAP Pressure, CA's, and elevation GuyScharf 2 436 11-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,055 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.