Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF
AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF
Has anyone experienced any lung fibrosis issues after using CPAP, maybe in conjunction with GERD/Acid Reflux?  After being diagnosed with paroxysmal afib, went for a sleep study which confirmed severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea.  I've successfully been on CPAP since July of 2021.  I am considered obese and in the past have suffered from bouts of Acid Reflux.  It seemed that for the most part, being on CPAP reduced the reflux to a non issue, and controlled reflux with OTC one time meds.  For about 8 months, I've been experiencing a dry, chronic cough and runny nose (but only during the daytime) - I thought the humidification of my CPAP was keeping throat and nose clear at night.  A shortness of breath came on in Oct 2022 and I finally went to pulmonologist.    After contrast CT showed some fibrosis in my lungs, his diagnosis is CPAP masking acid reflux (as I felt I had no symptoms of reflux) , and aspiration of the acid into my lungs.  Of course, still using Cpap but working to confirm this diagnosis with gastroentrologist and then working on reducing exposure and preventing any more advancement of fibrosis.  I have about 77% usage of lungs.  I tell this tale as a precaution for others to not ignore chronic coughing and breathlessness.    And wondering how others have coped if experienced.  Thanks for the space to share my concerns.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF
Thank you for sharing your story. I have not experienced or heard of CPAP affecting the course of pulmonary fibrosis. You may well be improving the fibrosis symptoms with the added CPAP pressure. I wonder if aerophagia could exacerbate the reflux if it is the cause of the fibrosis. Has bloating been an issue for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't even know that was possible. Can you post again if the diagnosis is confirmed?

I can't sleep at all without CPAP, but I have a feeling I've become dependent on the device, and will always have to use it for sleep. Some time ago my humidifier gasket was damaged and for two nights I had constant apnea and hardly any sleep until I could get a replacement. Either way, I'd sooner use CPAP than have another heart attack! (My last heart attack occurred following an apnea event).
Post Reply Post Reply
Just curious, do you think the fibrosis may have started way before you used Cpap therapy? If it were me, I'd question the Pulmonologist further. What treatment did he recommend?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I've not experienced any bloating.  I don't regret using Cpap and I'm not saying that it caused any of this.  It just may be a factor in keeping GERD symptoms at such a minimum that I wasn't aware.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2023, 08:35 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Just curious, do you think the fibrosis may have started way before you used Cpap therapy?  If it were me, I'd question the Pulmonologist further.  What treatment did he recommend?

I started my Cpap therapy in July 2021.  In May 2022, a chest xray showed nothing.  So it seems it has come on within the last 10 months - on 2 occasions I do recall maybe overindulging and getting Acid Reflux but just treated it with OTC drugs.   Treatment the pulmonologist has recommended is a course of Omeprazole and sleeping with my head/chest raised at 45 deg angle.  I'm also going for an upper Endoscopy with Gastroentrologist to confirm GERD/Acid reflux, or maybe hiatal hernia.  If it is so, then we'll treat that.  If not, will continue to look for causes, with intent to control.  My sleep apnea is well controlled with Cpap and I will continue with it.

Thanks for comments and questions.  It helps to share these concerns
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 845 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,728 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,040 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,527 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,665 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough legrunt 6 1,122 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,928 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.