Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Can cpap therapy help to overcome erectyle disfunction?
Can cpap therapy help to overcome erectyle disfunction?
Dear community. 

Some months ago, I experienced an erectyle disfunction that concerned me to the degree I developed an anxiety to have sexual intercourse with my partner. In addition, I used to have constant acid reflux, chest pain, heart beats going up to 105 beats per second in resting state. All seemed to be wrong and I was extremely worried for my health. I couldn't understand why I was so bad in shape if I was not fat. I was neither a drinker or a smoker. Things were not like this before- I used to say. What happens to me?

After going to several doctors (urologist, cardiologist and endocrinologist) I discovered I was healthy enough to pass all the tests (at a minimun level), but not fine at all to put my member up when I needed it. I was desperated. As a concequence of that, I began my own investigation by reading papers and testimonials to find out what caused my E.D.  That helped narrow the gap. 

My sleeping partners always complained I used to snore loudly and stop breathing, so I realized there was something wrong with my sleep health. Bad sleeping may take you to develop E.D because there are hormones that work when our body rests- such as testosterone. Apart from that, researchers claim it may cause acid reflux, tireness, sleepiness among others sympthoms. This is the reason! I reckoned. I scheduled an appointment with my neourologist (the guy who treats sleep disorders where I live) and sent me to have a sleep study on me. and Voilá! That study indicated that I had a severe sleep apnea and severe roncopathy. I was amazed when my doctor told me I needed a machine to sleep at night. Such a terrible turn-off for any sleeping partner. I'd have to accept it. After all, there is nothing more important that your own health. 

I'm here starting my therapy with a CPAP resmed air sense 10, I put all my beans in this therapy to help me overcome my E.D and improve my lifestyle. Any similar experiences? Can I really improve my sexual functions if I sleep better from now on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can cpap therapy help to overcome erectyle disfunction?
Hi juanjo and welcome to the forum!

Can't comment on your question as I am female. However, I truly hope that CPAP therapy not only improves your sleep quality but rids you of the ED problem. Best of luck and keep us posted.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi juanjo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you still have anxiety causing ED, you may wish to consult with a professional who treats this. There are exercises - both cognitive and behavioral - which may be helpful.
Additionally, the book "Male Sexuality" by Bernie Zilbergeld might be helpful, if you can find it in print (try Amazon and used book stores).

(I heard Dr Zilbergeld speak at Ohio University)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I can speak to my experience with this:  

Long story short, i was diagnosed with OSA 12 years ago and had experienced morning headaches and daytime sleepiness - I was 25 at the time and very heavy.  I lost a ton of weight and was able to come off the cpap.

Fast forward to last May, and I was experiencing headaches and daytime sleepiness, and ED on a regular basis (this all started at roughly the same time).  I had gained around 35 lbs with the birth of my third son, and I immediately suspected OSA as I'd been diagnosed with it before.  I didn't get around to the sleep test until Nov.   when I got the results back it showed moderate to severe OSA.  My new doc questioned whether the old doc should have let me off the CPAP.

I started an APAP in dec, and since then my headaches, daytime sleepiness have gone, and I have not had any ED.  It's been a noticeable difference for me.  It was 100% affected by the apnea - I am positive of that.  

I can't speak for ED caused by anxiety, although I can certainly relate to the fear of it returning.  I believe there are a number of studies that show a link between apnea and ED.  I spent a fair amount of time looking into it, because I didn't understand why it just went away.

Good luck man.  ED is no fun at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your answers. I have started feeling better! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 09:18 AM)juanjo Wrote: Thank you for your answers. I have started feeling better! Smile

It's interesting you bring this up because I was just thinking this when I woke up. I don't have ED however I would rarely wake up with morning wood... every morning since I started CPAP 3 days ago I noticed that I have. So I believe sleep apnea absolutely can play a role in ED after a while of going undiagnosed
Post Reply Post Reply
treat the apnea but also you need to know your blood pressure averages as ED is essentially about supply of blood to your member at a vascular level and constriction from high blood pressure is a common cause
hormone balance plays a key role, you need a full Male hormone blood test panel done..key ones are free T, E2, T3, Cortisol and FSH / LH....good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2017, 11:55 AM)Ironman Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 09:18 AM)juanjo Wrote: Thank you for your answers. I have started feeling better! Smile

It's interesting you bring this up because I was just thinking this when I woke up. I don't have ED however I would rarely wake up with morning wood... every morning since I started CPAP 3 days ago I noticed that I have. So I believe sleep apnea absolutely can play a role in ED after a while of going undiagnosed

In order to determine if a person has ED, and if the person is otherwise in good health and not currently undergoing treatment for a disorder that is known to cause ED, the person has a cuff placed on the p****, a strain gauge, and the person is encouraged to sleep normal all night long.  In the morning, if the device has recorded an erection, which in healthy males it ought to have done, there is no ED, at least not for physical reasons.  If there is daytime ED, it has another cause.

My point is that ED can be caused by several problems, and not getting quality sleep is one of them.  A person who cannot dream, for example, which most people do about every 90 minutes or so, will almost never achieve an erection during sleep.  When healthy males sleep properly, they should get erections several times each night, and waking with 'morning wood' is merely waking immediately upon dreaming, a somewhat common thing.  At least, in a male's youth, that is so.  And for the ladies, no, it has nothing to do with dreams about sex...not always.  When a man dreams, he is likely to get an erection.   His boss is yelling at him, he gets......  

For someone who commences CPAP, and who suddenly finds he gets morning wood, you can take it to the bank that the PAP therapy is working.  Just don't walk into the bank that way.  Certainly not with a smirk.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 155 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 252 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,263 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,341 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.