Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] DreamStation AHI Math
Question 
DreamStation AHI Math
Basics:

Diagnosed with severe obstructive apnea about 2 months ago
Sleep study result:  22 obstructive apneas, 56 central apneas, 87 hypopneas
Wallenberg Stroke 5 1/2 years ago
Using Phillips Respironics DreamStation BiPap machine w/full mask for about a month. Settings 21/17
Using DreamMapper App

Question(s):

The DreamMapper App math on my AHI doesn't seem to relate to my numbers of apneas. Also, when I try to reverse multiply the AHI with the time used, it doesn't match the sum of the apneas, or any combination of the apneas. How do they calculate the AHI, and are 'Clear Airway' apneas included in the calculation? Also, are Clear Airway apneas the same as central apneas?

Examples:

DATE          Clear Airway     Obstructive    Hypopneas   AHI   Usage
Sept 16            21                      2                12          4.4     7:56
Sept 17            32                      4                17          6.3     8:25
Sept 18            35                      7                14          7.1     7:54
Sept 19            42                      3                11          6.4     8:41
Sept 20            53                    10                19          9.5     8:37
Sept 21            43                      8                14          7.5     8:37
Sept 22            48                      3                12          7.6     8:20

Thanks for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation AHI Math
Add together all of the events and devide by time in hours.

So looking at sept 18

35+7+14=56 divided by time in hours I rounded up the hours and divided by 8 giving an AHI of 7

Which matches your machine stat of 7.1

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaulKiser,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately you got the fixed pressure BiPAP pro. With the BiPAP auto, EPAP would automatically increase to resolve OA and pressue support increase for hypopnea.

My impression is that your pressures are very high and you should consider a soft cervical collar to prevent physical obstruction of your airway from dropping your chin to chest and other head neck issues that cause airway occlusion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  The math of calculating AHI PaulaO2 21 27,301 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM
Last Post: midwestguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.