Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Note to my Doctor about my Sleep Apnea
Note to my Doctor about my Sleep Apnea
I have now quit the CPAP and my SPO2 doesn’t go below 90%, but is typically higher.  Here is a summary of my efforts to learn about and minimize my sleep apnea:

I use the free application “OSCAR” on my laptop to examine the data on my CPAP memory card.  A screen print of my AHI data from OSCAR is shown above for 11/2019 – 5/2024.  This is the entire time that I’ve had the CPAP.

The period of 10/2020 – 8/2021 contains a cluster of my highest AHI’s, showing that even the highest was well within the “mild” range.  After this period, the typical AHI dropped very low.  In the last 2 years there was only one night that my AHI was >5 (6.41), 5 times it was >2, and 10 times it was >1. Typically AHI is <1.

SLEEP POSITION - An AHI of 5-15 is Mild Sleep Apnea, which was my diagnosis based on me sleeping on my back.  Using OSCAR, I found first that I had fewer apneas using a wedge pillow.  Next, I found I did even better if I slept on my side, with a pillow behind me to prevent me from rolling onto my back.  For much of the time, I found that sleeping on my left side was best, but there have been some periods when right was better.

GENERAL HEALTH – In the last several months I have lost over 20 pounds and (more significantly) reduced my body fat by over 7% (to 12.7%) in an effort to gain and preserve health (recently turned 70).  This should help by reducing the tissue at the back of my throat.

ANTI-SNORING DEVICE AND PULSE OX - I occasionally checked my sleeping SP02 with a recording pulse oximeter.  Most recently, I bought SnoreX, which allowed me to move my lower jaw forward in 1 mm increments in an attempt to keep my airway open.  At this point, all is good.

EXERCISES - I have experimented a little, but not enough, with exercises to strengthen my soft pallet.  It is said that playing the didgeridoo helps, but I think that singing, whistling, and playing the blues on a harmonica should help too, since they all exercise the back of the throat. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Note to my Doctor about my Sleep Apnea
You should post up some Oscar charts. They tell the real story.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're seeing an AHI under 5 consistently in OSCAR, this is during and a result of CPAP therapy. Therapy is not a cure. You remove therapy and your Apnea will return at some point soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy for ya mate. Provide some OSCAR charts showing the progress and we can attempt to determine which step(s) was (were) the ticket(s). It may be of value for others.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion on alternate treatments for sleep apnea Breathworker 42 893 07-25-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: SeePak
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 23 3,880 07-23-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Advice request. How do I talk to my doctor? Justlilme 1 106 07-22-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Looking for Tips on Using Data to Optimize My Sleep Apnea Treatment woives 10 385 07-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: woives
  10+ CA's and a bad "doctor". Left to fend for myself, should I ASV, ST, or CPAP? Akeyla 27 999 07-08-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Weight loss prescriptions for sleep apnea?? Lanners 2 230 07-02-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Narcil
Question [Treatment] Seeking advice on treating sleep apnea LG18 9 354 06-23-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: LG18

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.