Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help a friend understand her test results
RE: Help a friend understand her test results
Update: My friend still doesn't have her machine. The medical supply company is shipping it to her and she's still waiting. It's supposed to arrive today. She had her titration study last night, so at least that's done. I'll post those results when she gets them. 

Her purchase order from the medical supply place says they are sending her the Mirage FX mask, and it looks like they used the full face version of that in her titration study, based on the photo she sent me. How do you know if you need a full face or a nasal mask? Knowing she's somebody who runs hot when she sleeps, I'm thinking she isn't going to love a full-face mask. She hasn't been able to try on/test out masks, partly due to her work schedule and partly due to the medical supply place not being anywhere near where she lives/works. I could send her one of my extra Dreamwear nasal pillow masks just to try, but I'm not sure if she has to have a full face mask for some reason?
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to ask if she tried different masks during the study. If she only used the one ordered then she would try others. If she tried different ones she might be a mouth breather when she sleeps and needs a full face mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 08:45 AM)staceyburke Wrote: You need to ask if she tried different masks during the study.

I'll find out. She's at work now and can't talk, but I'm so curious lol! I just read your mask primer and I'm going to send that along to my friend. She's a little overwhelmed with all this stuff--and has a much busier daily life than I do--which is why I'm trying to take care of some of the questions for her. Some of us are apnea nerds and like to explore all the fine details, but others just want someone to set the machine up, plug it in, and make it solve problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 09:24 AM)JenniferJuniper Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 08:45 AM)staceyburke Wrote: You need to ask if she tried different masks during the study.

I'll find out. She's at work now and can't talk, but I'm so curious lol! I just read your mask primer and I'm going to send that along to my friend. She's a little overwhelmed with all this stuff--and has a much busier daily life than I do--which is why I'm trying to take care of some of the questions for her. Some of us are apnea nerds and like to explore all the fine details, but others just want someone to set the machine up, plug it in, and make it solve problems.

I work with someone who has sleep apnea.
He regularly says that he takes off his mask every night, after a few hours. He is under a doctor's care.

I've told him what compliance is, and told him that he may use OSCAR to manage his own health. 

In my own care, I ensure I'm compliant.  I use my  equipment, mask on, every day for over 4 hours. (Actually often double that.)  I have proof in case I need to use it.  I've been compliant for 35 years

When I sourced out a new sleep doctor about 2 years ago he had no trouble determining that I have Sleep Apnea. He knew when  I was diagnosed and what the diagnosis was. He is so much better than my previous sleep doc who only required me to bring my machine to him to read how many hours it had been turned on.

The people on this forum are incredibly helpful. I get better quality sleep and feel better because of assistance they provide.  Now I manage my care, advocate for myself, and genuinely feel better.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 08:38 AM)JenniferJuniper Wrote: Update: My friend still doesn't have her machine. The medical supply company is shipping it to her and she's still waiting. It's supposed to arrive today. She had her titration study last night, so at least that's done. I'll post those results when she gets them. 

Her purchase order from the medical supply place says they are sending her the Mirage FX mask, and it looks like they used the full face version of that in her titration study, based on the photo she sent me. How do you know if you need a full face or a nasal mask? Knowing she's somebody who runs hot when she sleeps, I'm thinking she isn't going to love a full-face mask. She hasn't been able to try on/test out masks, partly due to her work schedule and partly due to the medical supply place not being anywhere near where she lives/works. I could send her one of my extra Dreamwear nasal pillow masks just to try, but I'm not sure if she has to have a full face mask for some reason?

My previous DME did that to me too.  One mask was offered. Yes, I could get the size I needed... I have a new DME now, but a good one was hard to find!

With my experience mask choice is a weak link in our treatment. One mask doesn't fit everyone. 

And masks don't last a long time.

This site is amazing.  There are links to suppliers that provide masks and equipment that costs less! 

I hope your friend gets her equipment soon.  I hope your friend is successful in treatment.  

It's good of you to help.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2020, 09:38 AM)DaveL Wrote: I work with someone who has sleep apnea.
He regularly says that he takes off his mask every night, after a few hours. He is under a doctor's care.

I've told him what compliance is, and told him that he may use OSCAR to manage his own health. 

In my own care, I ensure I'm compliant. 

When I had my very first sleep study, which was 7 or 8 years ago, I had to return after a certain amount of time (30 days maybe?) for the doctor to read my data. My very serious sleep doctor came into the room downright giddy, with a huge smile on his face, and told me I'd made his day. He said it was extremely rare to see a new patient with 100% compliance. I had used the machine every single night from 11 pm to 7 am, seven days a week, just as he had recommended. And I have continued to do that for all these years, because I remember what it was like to not be able to sleep and to feel like garbage every day. Obviously some people don't buy into CPAP therapy the way you and I do, though. I'm just hoping my friend does, because her apnea is severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
She's lucky to have your help.
I had a mentor when I started too. He suggested I choose a Breeze mask. It was an early nasal-pillows mask. I didn't have a lot of money! I used that mask for 5 years, replacing parts when they broke. It sure was a funny looking mask!

Mentors help a lot.

Keys to improving my OSA treatment have been:
* finding a good DME that loans me masks for trial and fits them right
* finding a good sleep doc. I had a terrible one for about 15 years. He retired. (Sounds strange to some. It's hard to find a good family doc here; and I have to get a referral from the family doc to a sleep doc to go there. And I live in the big city. Toronto
* IMPORTANT: participating here and listening to answers when I ask for help.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
My friend finally got her Autoset 10 and has used it for two nights. However, it does not have a card in the slot so she can't upload anything to OSCAR. Her doctor has been very responsive for now and is watching her data and adjusting as needed. She said after the first night he adjusted her pressure to 14. She says she was on auto but now she's on a steady 14? Does that makes sense? The info she got on her screen this morning shows 7:43 usage hours and a smiley face for the mask (which I assume means no leaks?). She used the Mirage nasal mask last night and the Mirage full-face the night before. She said both masks smell like a "funeral home" lol. 

Two questions: She woke up with a headache and isn't sure if it's allergies (she slept with the windows open) or the CPAP. I assume it's the CPAP because I know this happened to me years ago, but I can't remember how I resolved it. Her other question is about humidity. She says hers is set at 81 degrees and she is using up almost all the water in the chamber each night. Is that a correct setting for humidity? 

Thanks again for all the help. I know it's odd for me to be posting for her. She will start posting on her own as soon as she has OSCAR set up. Can she just buy any SD card and use that to get her data?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 94 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 90 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 179 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.