Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep
Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep
Diagnosed OSA with 24.5 through LOFTA at home sleep study.

Got my APAP last week, used it for 6 nights but forgot to put in SD on one night so only 5 night recorded Data. On night 4 set up a camera in my bedroom that recorded me waking up after the first 1-2 hours then proceeding to wake up every 10-30 min an hour on average. I dont know why, although I will be talking to my PCP about my frequent arousals. Can anyone help me fine tune my settings? Any concerning data in my charts?

Will attach pictures of snapshots in further posts (too many to attach in single post here) 

Further Snapshots

more snapshots

last pic

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep
Hey there!

Before the Pros jump in, I thought I would suggest that you read this page on setting up your Oscar charts and then re-post them so that they can best see the data they need to help you out.

-->apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Also, just in the off chance that no pro's are available today, your machine looks to be running wide-open with settings at 4 to 20. From the charts you posted, your pressures look like they stay between 6 and 14. I would start by setting my machine there. Min 6, Max 14. It also looks like you do much better with the EPR turned on.

Once you get the proper charts posted, the pros can take a look and help fine-tune everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like your therapy is very effective right off the bat. Your arousals may be because you're not accustomed to wearing a mask, having pressurized air blown into your nose/mouth,  the noise of the machine and possibly leaks.  Any or all of those can interfere with sleep until you get comfortable and accustomed with the system.  Your brain needs to learn how to handle it all, and that may take a while.  You may have to experiment with different mask types.  Everybody is different.  Wearing the mask for periods during the day and using the therapy during some naps may help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2023, 03:21 PM)esleepie Wrote: Hey there!

Before the Pros jump in, I thought I would suggest that you read this page on setting up your Oscar charts and then re-post them so that they can best see the data they need to help you out.

-->apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=OSCAR_Chart_Organization

Also, just in the off chance that no pro's are available today, your machine looks to be running wide-open with settings at 4 to 20. From the charts you posted, your pressures look like they stay between 6 and 14. I would start by setting my machine there. Min 6, Max 14. It also looks like you do much better with the EPR turned on.

Once you get the proper charts posted, the pros can take a look and help fine-tune everything.

Thank you will look into it when I get home, appreciate the feedback!

(04-25-2023, 04:04 PM)cdplatt Wrote: Looks like your therapy is very effective right off the bat. Your arousals may be because you're not accustomed to wearing a mask, having pressurized air blown into your nose/mouth,  the noise of the machine and possibly leaks.  Any or all of those can interfere with sleep until you get comfortable and accustomed with the system.  Your brain needs to learn how to handle it all, and that may take a while.  You may have to experiment with different mask types.  Everybody is different.  Wearing the mask for periods during the day and using the therapy during some naps may help.

thank you for the feedback will keep going as I am then
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI is excellent but you have flow limits that can and do stop you from getting a good nights sleep. flow limits are NOT put into the computation for AHI. Flow limits are apena - the same apnea the O and H events --  They are ALL the same but they are categorized for how much obstruction and how long they last... I have the way they rate them in my signature.

Now how to help flow limits is by using EPR full time, it can be set to 1, 2 or 3...  To have the EPR work your min must be high enough for it to work.

So I would suggest you try the following setting for a couple od nights and see how it effects your sleep,

Min 7
EPR set to full time 3.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 21 57 minutes ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,374 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,224 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 150 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 224 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 918 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.