Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues
Sad 
Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues
Hey everyone,

I feel like I'm at my wit's end with my CPAP therapy. To give you some background, I had a non recalled Dreamstation 1 since 2018. The thing worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever and these past almost 6 years, I didn't even think about sleep really. After fighting with my provider to try and get a recall replacement, I finally called around to other stores and was able to obtain a replacement. Thing is, first couple of nights with the new machine, just felt like something was off even though I had taken pictures of all my settings and was able to go through the clinician mode to set it back up. I use a heated tube and generally have humidity set to 2 and the tube set to 3. The issue I've been having is that when I Get up in the morning, the humidifer tank is stone cold. Here's the thing though, the pre heat works just fine (plate gets nice and warm and the water gets warm too). From trying different configurations (i.e. with heated tube, without heated tube) it seems like when the heated tube is plugged in, the humidifer itself seems to be turning off. My old Dreamstation was from 2017 manufacturing and this one is from 2022.

My question is has anyone else experierenced this with the replacement machine (is there a thread where this has been covered?)? And does anyone know if there were firmware updates from one machine to the next? I've gone through all the menus trying to hunt for something that might explain why the humidifer stops working but can't find anything and the forums and reddit seem like not many people are experiencing this.

I ended up picking up a Resmed 11 and have been trying to get used to it but it's been challenging to get fully used too and I long for the days just a few months ago where I didn't even think about my CPAP therapy.

Thanks in advance for reading!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues
Jimbob, it would help if you could post a chart from Oscar so we can see if there are issues with your therapy we can address through settings. The Resmed CPAPs are significantly different than Philips. It is more responsive to flow limits and instead of Flex uses a bilevel pressure called EPR. Firmware has not changed the therapy algorithms of these machines for many years and mostly occur to for modem communications, humidity and some other secondary purposes. Anyway, give a a look at a typical chart or two and we may be able to help. In fact, if you want to post a chart from your Dreamstation and compare that to the Resmed that might be even better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider, thanks for reading and the response!

I've attached a couple of Oscar screenshots:

1) Old Dreamstation data - two nights (just random days).
2) New Dreamstation data - two nights shortly after I got the machine
3) Resmed from the last few nights

I have felt very surprised to learn that even though I know my prescribed pressure, setting it the same on 3 different machines has felt completely different even when two of those machines are theoretically the same.

Appreciate any insight this data may give you in terms of what I'm experiencing. While I feel like the Resmed is a good machine, I also feel like my throat has felt different in the last few weeks since adopting the machine and I wonder if the machines operate so differently that you almost need to be re-assessed and calibrated for each machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the new DS1 where I feel like I'm having the issues with the humdifier.

And then here are the last two nights from the Resmed machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Results don't suggest much difference between the machines. You had excellent AHI either way. Your old charts show the DS 1 CPAP Pro (not auto-CPAP) with fixed pressure of 9.5 and CFlex at 3. You have lots of variable breathing but low AHI. The DS 1 Auto CPAP was setup with the same 9.5 pressure and CFlex 3. As we move to the Resmed Airsense 11 at 9.4 and EPR 3 AHI remains very good, but you should notice that With Cflex, the maximum pressure reduction on exhale was 2 cm, while on the Resmed you are getting a consistent 3 cm reduction on exhale, and it lasts for the entire duration of exhale. As I mentioned before Flex is quite different from EPR.

I don't see any reason you should not use auto pressure or a lower pressure, but you will get closer to the DS1 pressure by changing EPR to setting 2. I think you should reduce pressure to 9.0 because there is no indication you need higher. Give 9.0 fixed with EPR 2 a try, then if you feel adventurous, try Autoset mode with minimum 8.0, maximum 11.0 and EPR 2 and see if that is any different for you. Your entire objective is comfort because there are no problems with therapy efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,052 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,082 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,821 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.