Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting "Clear Airway" waveforms
Help interpreting "Clear Airway" waveforms
Hello, I'm new to the board and a little over a month into trying a CPAP (ResMed AirSense 10, pressure from 14-17 cm). Analyzing my waveforms in Oscar, I see that my flow rate often flat lines, with little oscillations riding on top. Most of the time this is identified as a "Clear Airway," but sometimes it's labeled an "Obstructive Apnea," and sometimes it's not labeled at all:

From reading the board, it seems the most obvious explanation is that air is coming out my mouth, but that is not the case here because with my setup I have a full face mask (Evora) and I tape my mouth. (I use the full face mask despite not breathing through my mouth because it helps with chipmunk cheeks). I *think* I have some idea of what is going on based on a Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy I got back in January, but I thought I'd get the board's unbiased opinion before offering my own speculation.

Thank you for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting "Clear Airway" waveforms
Hi freemandyson!  -  Welcome
In order to get a better picture of your therapy, we need to see the complete Daily screen.  While in OSCAR, please use the F12 key or Fn+F12 for a Mac to take the screenshot.  This will collapse all unnecessary items, such as the right side menu and the calendar.  The default graph listing is in the order of significance.  Also, since you are using an A10 Autoset, please keep the view set to the Standard view.  Some think that the Advanced view provides more information.  In reality, this means for advanced machines like ASV and ST-A models and changes the order of some graphs.

Looking at the image you posted, your AHI seems low.  How you feel at this point is more important.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for helping me figure out the best way to portray my data. I used F12 as you said to get these images:

I'm not sure whether this is in Standard or Advanced view...when I clicked on the "View" menu in Oscar, it did not give me the option to choose either. If I'm currently using the Advanced view, please instruct as to how to switch to Standard.

And yes, my AHI is low, which makes it feel like I am tantalizingly close to getting CPAP to work for me. However, every night I wake up around 3 or 4am, usually preceded by the aforementioned waveforms. At that point my tongue feels huge, and my breathing is much more labored. I find myself continually *almost* falling asleep and then getting kicked out of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
By default, it is the Standard screen, and you are using it. You will find this setting located in the View > Reset Graphs option.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 117 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 224 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 153 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 204 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 647 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 181 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Do these waveforms represent an arousal BigWing 2 159 03-26-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.