Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting OSCAR Data
Question 
Help interpreting OSCAR Data
I'm about a month and a half into my therapy, and it's been a great help for me.  While I still sometimes feel tired, it's not the "I didn't breathe in my sleep at all last night" kind of tired.  I use a FFM (F20), as I've been a sleeping mouth-breather all my life.  Funnily enough, I breathe through my nose all day, but can't at night.  I tried the nasal pillows but that was a rough way to get into my CPAP journey so I quickly switched to the F20 and it's been a lot better.

I am active on the r/SleepApnea and r/CPAP subreddits, but wanted to connect here to help understand my OSCAR data and get expert recommendations on tweaks that may be useful for me.  I use sleep aids for sleep, if that matters at all.

I've attached a recent sleep and my overview; I hope it is good data to review.  That sleep was the highest AHI I've had in quite a while.

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance you may be able to offer.

Cheers Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting OSCAR Data
I would try using EPR to cut down on flow limits. To do this try these settings -

EPR full time
EPR 3
min 7

Try it tonight and post again tomorrow with Oscar charts again.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The lion's share of your apneas are central, which is to be expected in patients new to PAP therapy. You are a month and a half in, as you say, which is a little far in on average, but we can see that they're graduallygoing down with time.

You could benefit from a higher pressure and / or higher pressure support (EPR, in your case). You're on APAP, but you could try increasing your minimum pressure. If you're interested and willing, I lightly suggest to most patients that there's a chance fixed pressure could work better for you. The APAP algorithms are imperfect and we can expect variable response between patients; for some they titrate well, for others not as much.

Your flow limitation is on the lower side, but this is another thing I gently suggest patients try to eliminate so long as it doesn't create more problems than it resolves, and of course to always avoid hyperfocusing on attaining zero.

tldr; your sleep is still mildly interrupted and some settings changes could improve your situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both, I really appreciate it.  I will make the suggested changes and report back!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a different [worse] sleep last night.  The initial grouping of CA's started just as I was finishing reading/falling asleep, I had put my mask on about 30 minutes beforehand.  Any thoughts? Not sure I'm a huge fan, but only the first night.

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
The way the apnoeic events cluster it looks like positional apnoea’s, likely chin-tucking. I get the same thing and use a soft cervical collar with a full-face mask to keep my neck straight. Well, at least straighter than without.

The cluster around 02:15 is a good (bad?) example of positional apnoea’s and what it looks like when tucking. The 22:45 series, while CA’s, are still likely tuck events from the look of them.

Consider giving a soft cervical collar a try and see how it improves. You can try using a pillow to help prop your neck into a good position, but it is hard to maintain due to movements.

Pressure seems good when you look at the time between events. Managing the closing of the airway with tucking would be my first priority, at least for now. Once that is handled we can see where pressure needs lead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, nice tip!  I appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Help with pressure settings please (OSCAR data included) jc12312 2 82 Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jc12312
  Help analyze OSCAR data - BIPAP Kriiistine 1 65 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New CPAP user first OSCAR data results Jhlopez 1 104 07-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 4 457 07-25-2024, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Pogo007
  My journey begins - First Oscar Data thomas berner 5 189 07-25-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Narcil
Question [CPAP] Looking for advise based on my Oscar data Pogo007 3 127 07-25-2024, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Pogo007
  Importing O2 & Sleep Stage data into OSCAR?? David424 13 561 07-24-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: David424

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.