Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting OSCAR data?
Help interpreting OSCAR data?
Hello! I’ve had my APAP since 2021. I got it after doing an at home sleep study. I used it for a few months but stopped as I felt absolutely no difference between using it and not. I started again in July 2022 hoping that might have changed somehow… but no. I scheduled a hospital sleep study (a titration one, not sure if that’s how they all are?), and the results came back a few days ago. The nurse said something about maybe needing a BiPAP, but today when I was contacted by the company supplying them I was told they were going to give me a CPAP with the pressure set to 7. I’m so confused. Why would they do this if the one I already have doesn’t work? I am also confused why I was told initially I would need a BiPAP. So I was referred here to hopefully get some help figuring out the data that was run through OSCAR.

For some reason it’s only showing recorded data from August 2022 through October 2022 though. I’ve been using it since July 2022 fairly consistently. There have been a few days here and there where I’ve lapsed, and some nights I wake up and find I’ve ripped it off at some point in my sleep. But either way… I’m so lost. I’m not sure what I’ve uploaded is correct, I tried to go based on the wiki. I have 3 different nights but I think I’ll have to add them separately as it’s only giving me the option to post one picture. If anything else is needed please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Other info:
Min pressure: 5
Max pressure: 20
Humidity level: 4
Ramp pressure: 4
Ramp time: 30 min

Second example

Third example

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting OSCAR data?
Bump Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your bump.

In looking at your three posted charts, it seems like they are quite similar.

If these were my charts, I would adjust the min pressure, ramp pressure, and ramp time. I would also look at what the Flex setting was, and increase it initially to the top setting of 3.

Min pressure: change to 6
Max pressure: 20
Humidity level: 4
Ramp pressure: change to 5
Ramp time: change from 30 min to 10 min
Flex: change from ?? to 3

As soon as you can, post the sleep test results for any tests (be sure to block out any personal identity info.) That will help us give more targeted suggestions.

And, since you say that CPAP is not working for you, please let us know what it is that gives you that impression.

In OSCAR, there is an "Overview" tab. That might be helpful to see how consistent the scores are.

Best wishes,

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
In agreement with QAL. The Philips CPAPs have always been very slow to address obstruction and allow too many events to occur before moving pressure into an effective range. Your pressure reaches 11.0 consistently to address obstructive apnea, and your starting pressure is going to have be higher. I would suggest 8.0 rather than the 6.0 suggested above. Your apnea are very clustered which suggests a positional element (chin-tucking). I'll stop short of recommending a soft cervical collar, but if you are using multiple pillows or a tall firm pillow (memory foam) you should try to get your head back and chin-up. Similar positional clusters can happen in a side-sleeping fetal position as well, so just be aware of it and try to mitigate. Maximum pressure does not need to be above 14.0 at this point. I can't see your flex setting, but it appears to be 1 or 2 which is fine. My recommendation then is Ramp off or a higher pressure above 4.0 and less than 8.0 you tolerate on, Auto. Minimum pressure 8.0, maximum pressure 14.0, Flex 1 or 2. Read the positional apnea wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I will try that for a few nights and post back here with the results.

My reason for saying it doesn’t work is that I feel just as fatigued and tired as I did before I used it. Hopefully adjusting the settings to what you suggested will help.

(02-23-2023, 09:49 AM)taylermacdonald Wrote: Thank you! I will try that for a few nights and post back here with the results.

My reason for saying it doesn’t work is that I feel just as fatigued and tired as I did before I used it. Hopefully adjusting the settings to what you suggested will help.

Sorry I meant to reply with a quote to the first comment!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2023, 09:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: In agreement with QAL. The Philips CPAPs have always been very slow to address obstruction and allow too many events to occur before moving pressure into an effective range.  Your pressure reaches 11.0 consistently to address obstructive apnea, and your starting pressure is going to have be higher.  I would suggest 8.0 rather than the 6.0 suggested above.  Your apnea are very clustered which suggests a positional element (chin-tucking).  I'll stop short of recommending a soft cervical collar, but if you are using multiple pillows or a tall firm pillow (memory foam) you should try to get your head back and chin-up.  Similar positional clusters can happen in a side-sleeping fetal position as well, so just be aware of it and try to mitigate.  Maximum pressure does not need to be above 14.0 at this point.  I can't see your flex setting, but it appears to be 1 or 2 which is fine.  My recommendation then is Ramp off or a higher pressure above 4.0 and less than 8.0 you tolerate on, Auto. Minimum pressure 8.0, maximum pressure 14.0, Flex 1  or 2.  Read the positional apnea wiki. 
Okay, I do have a memory foam pillow so I’ll try to keep my head up higher. I do sleep on my side as well so how would I correct that since I usually switch around while sleeping?
Post Reply Post Reply
The idea is not to get your head higher, but to support a natural reverse curve of the spine at the neck by letting the head lay back to a comfortable position. The position to avoid is chin-tucking where the airway gets pinched.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2023, 02:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The idea is not to get your head higher, but to support a natural reverse curve of the spine at the neck by letting the head lay back to a comfortable position. The position to avoid is chin-tucking where the airway gets pinched.

Interesting, okay! So it would help with side sleeping too then?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this extra info will help, but I got a copy of my sleep study results. Had to attach it through Imgur since the file was too large.

https://imgur.com/a/iv0Xt9H
Post Reply Post Reply
The main takeaway from your titration study was the recommendation of pressure at 7.0 with EPR 3. That is only possible with a Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset. Your Philips is not able to provide the equivalent pressure support (EPR). This is however consistent with my suggestion of increasing minimum pressure from 5.0 to 7.0 and using Flex at 1 or 2. That said, you would be more comfortable with the Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 29 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 402 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.