Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help w/Cheyne Stokes Respiration episodes last night
Help w/Cheyne Stokes Respiration episodes last night
hi everyone.  i'm new to this discussion forum and part of my story is i've been trying to figure out why my sleep with the CPAP isn't making me feel better.  i've always believed my problem was more centered around central sleep apnea than obstructive.  anyway, i was looking at the data from last night and see where i'm definitely having some problems.  my recent sleep study didn't observe any central apneas, but here it looks like that's mostly what's happening.  any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help w/Cheyne Stokes Respiration episodes last night
Welcome to AB

A couple of things, first a moderator will move this to the main forum where it will get more attention.
2nd the left sidebar contains info we want to see and read the link in my sig about organization.

Finally we need to see a zoomed view showing any 10 minutes of the CSR to evaluate it.

Also post a redacted copy of the full with charts and tables of your sleep studies. We often catch info that was missed or not recognized
Post Reply Post Reply
hi.  i finally figured out how to close the calendar, thanks.  here's the close up.  i have to take off.  i will post the sleep study later today, when i get back.  i was reading on another thread that turning on the EPR can cause and increase in Clear Airway events.  maybe that needs to be turned down too.

Post Reply Post Reply
here's all of the information from my sleep study.  as i think i stated, they didn't find any major evidence of central apnea.  this is what i've believed for years is my problem(along with some obstructive apnea issues).  any insights or suggestions would be appreciated...thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Your centrals show up in the 4th and 5 page, CAI of 5.5 without CPAP !6 events MA and CA in 2.9 hours That is lights out time, not sleep time so the actual number will be somewhat higher, 0 with CPAP. This proves that you had centrals without CPAP. Keep in mind that centrals can be very inconsistent.

Your RDI was 59, this is a measure of RERAs which also means that you have a significant Flow Limit problem. RERAs are a series of Flow Limits which ends in arousal. Maybe not to full awake state, but think of someone jabbing you with an elbow once a minute, all night long, In addition to your AHI where you get an additional jab every minute and a quarter. That means that you got that jab every 34 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
i was told by my physicians assistant the study showed no meaningful central apnea.  i don't think she knows a lot about this field.  are there any recommendations for getting these numbers down?  i've been experimenting with different pressure settings and the EPR setting.  i had it completely turned off for 5 years, and only recently turned it on to a setting of 3.  maybe i should go back to turning it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2019, 07:07 PM)anakranism Wrote: i was told by my physicians assistant the study showed no meaningful central apnea.  i don't think she knows a lot about this field.  are there any recommendations for getting these numbers down?  i've been experimenting with different pressure settings and the EPR setting.  i had it completely turned off for 5 years, and only recently turned it on to a setting of 3.  maybe i should go back to turning it off.
Set your Pressure Min = Pressure Max = 8   (11 - 3) to compensate for losing EPR.  This will maintain the same (very close) therapeutic pressure
Set EPR = 0 or off.

Let's see what happens to hypopneas and RERAs (they could go up). I expect CA to go down.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Set your Pressure Min = Pressure Max = 8   (11 - 3) to compensate for losing EPR.  This will maintain the same (very close) therapeutic pressure"  i'm not sure i understand this.  specifically what number should i set for Minimum and what number for Maximum?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2019, 09:08 PM)anakranism Wrote: "Set your Pressure Min = Pressure Max = 8   (11 - 3) to compensate for losing EPR.  This will maintain the same (very close) therapeutic pressure"  i'm not sure i understand this.  specifically what number should i set for Minimum and what number for Maximum?

I think Fred is suggesting you run at a fixed pressure to see if that resolves the situation. Set minimum = 8 and maximum = 8.

<Edit> Alternatively you could set the machine to CPAP mode with a fixed pressure of 8.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 257 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 88 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 4 242 03-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 862 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 330 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 354 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 580 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.