Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with a ResMed BiPAP
RE: Help with a ResMed BiPAP
(08-01-2021, 09:04 AM)Gideon Wrote: The main reason we are so 'supportive' of ResMed machines is simply that over many years we see better results therapeutically from them.  We see a lot of that recently as, because of the PR recall, users are telling us that was their experience.  Usually, in addition to the results (AHI and other charts) they often cite that they prefer the very same things that you cite as what you don't like for their preference for ResMed.

There are some people that honestly do better with PR machines, again, for the reasons you cite and for them we work with them to optimize their PR machines.  For new users we try to guide them toward ResMed, but work with what they have.

I believe that you are one of those that is better off with PR machines.  With the recall I'd suggest otherwise but you have worked around the recall issues.  Stick with the PR pachines.

Thanks, those are strong points. And because of the recall, I too was highly motivated to switch, then I ran into a few walls.

I really wish ResMed systems were adjustable.

Especially the ResMed ASV.

I can handle to slow startup cycle, it is only a few breaths worth of delay.

I really run into a problem with the slow feeding of pressure and airflow/volume. I feel as I need to suck in each breath VS Phillips solid push.

Going by ResMeds own bar graph I see that I seemly do not reach full pressure until a long intake/inhale of breath.

I also see that if I relax and breathe normally I often do not take an long enough to reach my upper pressure.

I fully believe I need this higher pressure to control my Centrals and Hypopaneas and this lack will allow them to happen.

I also found the response time to my changing from inhale to exhaling bothersome.

IF ONLY ResMed allowed adjusting these features as does Phillips do I could tune the machine to work for me.

I really like the ResMed body, especially the Hunidifre section: the water tank holds double the water.

AND It is a part of the main body NOT alone housing like the Phillips system. There are connections to make and which can break.

The water tank is easy to spill (ResMed tank is better) and the lid catch is prone to failure, and the hose attachment is prone to getting worn and losing its tight fit and both the cover and the hose attachment can become noisy, clicking with each breath. All of this is not in the ResMed system so it does not happen.

This part is so much better than the Phillips system I am dreaming of combining the two systems somehow. I may yet build a Frankenstine machine...

SevereApnea really helped me in my research on the working differences between the systems. I am still reading the 13 pages of deep data.

Thanks a ton for that!!

I am already seeing what I have been asking and talking about. There are very real differences between the systems on how they work with and read Apneas.

The harder part will be to figure which system might be better. If that matters.

One argument presented has been people getting better reports and AHIs, which raise the question of can we really trust comparing reports from Phillips to Resmed's, I question if they read the very same things...a mile per mile, gallon VS Gallon as it were, I hope to find out.

The personal reports by users and switchers to ResMed from Phillips are very strong arguments. I personally have NOT seen any improvement in my reports nor my sleep. I in fact have felt less happy with the ResMed.

I discount some of these reports as "the great relief" to get away from the bad Phillips machines.

And another major part may very well be how CPAP/APAP machines treat apneas, I hated my DS APAP machine so IF I was still on one of those the ResMed may very well be a big improvement.

I suspect compared to the harsh CPAP/APAP Phillips machine the ResMed is much softer and nicer.

BUT I am spoiled with ASV machines, they are like driving a Luxury Car compared to a VW Bug...SO my experience is vastly different.

I have tried to point this out every time I post.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 548 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 709 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.