Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with moving from Lowenstein APAP to Resmed Bi-Level
Help with moving from Lowenstein APAP to Resmed Bi-Level
WHAT’S BROUGHT ME HERE

I’m looking for advice on moving from APAP to Bi-level therapy.

I think I’ve reached the limits of what my Lowenstein machine can offer me, and so have purchased a Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto to try and address underlying UARS? (FLs and RERAs) using Pressure Support.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a starting set of values to kick off the titration process on a Vauto - any guidance would be welcome.  

I’m very curious to see how this will go, particularly how the Resmed will ‘feel’ compared to the Lowenstein, given their differing approaches to pressure delivery.

My current Lowenstein APAP settings are -  APAP, Dynamic Mode, Pmin 10, Pmax 15, No SoftPAP.

SOME BACKGROUND

Started PAP therapy Oct 2023, after home sleep study reported AHI=35.7 (76% of which were hypopneas).

AHI quickly brought down to less than 1 after first couple of days on my Lowenstein PrismaSMART APAP machine (even at Pmin 4 / Pmax 20) and has remained that way since.

I’ve only had the occasional random CSR, CA, OA or H since starting, so not too concerning. 

First couple of months I felt really revitalised, (possibly sleep debt repaid), but more recently I’ve not been feeling fully rested and been progressively suffering with fatigue and brain fog.

My suspicions are that the remaining and consistently high FLs / RERAs are at the root of my fatigue and brain fog.  These don’t seem to respond to further increases in either Pmin or SoftPAP - my only two levers on APAP.

Pmin was gradually increased to 10 to deal with FLs and RERAs with some success  - above this level, I started to get central apneas and (central) hypopneas emerging, as well as intercostal muscle aches and aerophagia.

When SoftPAP is ON, my FLs in fact more than double?!  (note: OSCAR does not display FLs when SoftPAP is OFF - their extent has to be inferred from within the ‘Details’ sidebar).

When displayed, the FLs look positional (very banded), but don’t correlate with L, R, Supine or Prone (SomnoPose App).  I’m a side sleeper, use a low pillow and wear a Soft Cervical Collar each night, and while this has ‘thinned out’ the FLs, a lot still remain.

I get a fair amount of what Lowenstein refer to as ‘Deep Sleep’ (i.e. stable respiration), but this is fragmented due to the arousals from the FLs. These arousals seems to happen at the end of ‘deep sleep’ phases or during periods of REM sleep (Apple watch data).

Looking at my flow rate chart, my breathing has always looked pretty ratty, with no two wave forms ever looking the same, even during periods of so-called ‘deep sleep’.  I’ve always put this down to just my individual physiology, but it might be better described as UARS.

I’ve attached two OSCAR Charts - last night’s with SoftPAP=OFF and previous night with SOFTPAP=ON (i.e with FLs visible) and can provide further ’zoomed in’ charts if required.

...and thanks again - all thoughts welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with moving from Lowenstein APAP to Resmed Bi-Level
I suggest starting with a reasonable setup on Vauto based on your Löwenstein experience. We will start with your IPAP around 12, EPAP at 8, pressure support at 4 to manage the flow limitations, and set a maximum IPAP at 14 in the event it needs to increase so giving it 2 cmH2O headroom. No ramp and default trigger settings to start.

EPAP min 8
IPAP max 14
PS 4
No ramp
Trigger med

From there we can figure out what the next steps may be depending on how you respond to therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things should look like this:
  What does this mean
VPAPauto is the mode
PS 6.0 pver 5.4 - 19 (cmH20)
ps 6 over 5.4  means the exhale pressure is 5.4 and the inhale is 11.4
The last number is the highest the machine can go to stop apnea.

The pressure chart with these settings.

I'm not saying what to set your pressures (we have not seen how you do with the correct mode) But reather what everything means.  I would suggest high or very high trigger for the centrals.

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PL&P, will run with those figures tonight. Wanted to have a dry-run with the new machine during the day, to get to know what to expect and just in case there's any unexpected glitches or changes needed to my sleep routine.  Seems OK though.  Resmed slightly faster in ramping up its pressure delivery, but that may be as much due to it being bi-level. (Yes, actual 'ramp' is off - these words have become so loaded now!)

Will post tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Charts and commentary on first night (and time) on bi-level attached.   

ON GOING TO BED
Mind still pretty active due to a day of busy-ness prepping for start of bi-level - maybe slightly raised levels of anticipation/expectation, so not as chilled as usual night time routine, but not unexpected.

ON AWAKENING 
Had a good stretch (for me it’s usually a good sign of being well rested),  but with headache and stiff neck, which started easing after about 20 min - but generally quite clear headed and no brain fog.

ON NIGHT’S SESSIONS
First session I was mainly awake - was finding it difficult to clear mind and relax (see above) - accompanied by a misbehaving mask blowing air into my eye. Eventually got up, cleaned and repositioned mask and things settled.

Overall, I wasn’t too put out by the new breathing pattern - though it felt just a bit off in some way - couldn't quite pin it down though and paying attention to it was stopping me from actually getting on with the sleeping.  At times when awake, it felt like I was getting a bit more air than was necessary and so wasn't feeling the need to initiate breaths (breath holding) - thought this might have shown up as CAs, but it only did the once.

COMMENTS ON THE NIGHT’S OSCAR CHARTS
General Flow rate showing my usual breathing scrappiness, inspiration peaks more rounded than before)

Flow limitations now visible and in a more directly comparably way (with other pappers).

Something odd is happening towards the bottom of expiration (during periods of sleep), a sort of glitch hiccup or bump - it’s pretty prevalent throughout the night (see attached chart showing random example).  This has not shown up on my previous Lowenstein APAP charts, so is probably some bi-level artefact and/or a setting needing tweaked. 

…but all-in-all a good first night on bilevel.

FOR THE CURIOUS - RESMED BI-LEVEL / LOWENSTEIN APAP COMPARISON
Noise-wise, not much between them in spite of the much vaunted claim that the Lowenstein machines are quieter.

I experienced significantly less mask noise on the Resmed (same mask / hose used on both machines), but that may have been due to the waxing and waining of the bi-level pressure delivery compared the the more continuous pressure of the APAP.

On pressure delivery, both machines have felt equally comfortable, so not the abrupt change that I was expecting.

Build quality and materials used on the Lowenstein seem significantly higher (the usual Mercedes vs Ford comparison seems to hold up!)  The Resmed feels plasticky and fragile while the Lowenstein has more heft (and a neat little built in carrying handle!).  Menu navigation on the Resmed is better (compared with the PrismaSmart machines), but is probably comparable with the PrismaLine models.  It looks like more thought has gone into the ergonomics of the Lowenstein machine, particularly round the humidifier unit, (carrying, filling, cleaning and its attachment).

Stacey - Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier post.  Yep!, got that and understood it. Initially throw by the numbers in you example, and so had assumed it related to someone else.  But I follow the logic of how bi-level pressures are described.  Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a test post - can't seem to post with OSCAR attachments for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Day 2 & 3 and I seem to be fairly settled into bi-level now and still on PL&Ps suggested initial settings (see 'vauto day03' chart)

Both days, AHI 0, no events - I’M CURED!  …if only!  

Still pretty fatigued by mid-morning and time asleep is a bit on the short side - much shorter than when on APAP.

Starting to see many more well formed breaths throughout night.  Still some minor bumpiness and flattening along top of inspiration curve during REM sleep, though might just be characteristic of REM and not worth the chasing (for now).

Might be a bit of palatal prolapse there too (see ‘good-ish breaths’ chart) - though it could be just be an artefact from being zoomed in.

The  ‘glitch’ on the lower part of expiratory curve is still there  (see 'bottom of expiration' chart) - hopefully it just needs a Vauto setting tweaked - though I’ve no idea which one - hoping someone can identify the pattern and suggest the lever to pull.

Think that addressing the ‘glitch’ is the bigger priority for now …or at least understanding what it is and what causes it.

So, any thoughts welcome…

Post Reply Post Reply
Mate, glad the changes helped. Other than the wonky breaths as you noted, things are quite nice.

The first zoom looks like normal breaths, but the second looks like expiratory mouth breathing to me. Hopefully someone with experience in palatal prolapse can review and comment.

Here is a good thread on one members palatal prolapse journey.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...AlaxoStent
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Titration Help Norman2195 4 145 05-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Norman2195
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 15 897 05-16-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: jayed53
  [Treatment] RagingBull - Bi-Level Help RagingBull 27 1,116 05-11-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: RagingBull
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 7 603 05-06-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Resmed airsense 11 settings CPAP vs APAP Puffy cheeks 2 207 04-30-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to Apnea and APAP, looking for OSCAR feedback myklu 4 220 04-26-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: myklu
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 135 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.