Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with optimizing BiPap settings, trouble falling asleep - switched from CPAP
Help with optimizing BiPap settings, trouble falling asleep - switched from CPAP
Hi, my sleep doc diagnosed me with UARS and prescribed a BiPap (per my request over previous CPAP). I'd really appreciate help with optimizing this, as I've been waking up with numb left hand over the last few months and it's possible sleep disturbance and tensing muscle at night may be contributing factor. 

I have noticed two main issues: 
1.  Trouble falling asleep with the machine - I "linger" in the falling asleep phase then jerk back awake. Sometimes this is accompanied by central apneas (according to BiPap). This happens repeatedly and results in losing a lot of sleep. Not an issue without the machine
2. Central Apnea clusters, especially later in night. Attaching two example charts - the 40 minute one is just example of the "problem falling asleep." Longer one is a full night. 

My settings are:
Min EPAP: 4.60
Max IPAP: 9.00
PS: 3.4  (reduced this recently from 4.0)
Ti Maax: 2.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
Trigger: High
Cycle: Med
Mask: Nasal
Humidity: 4

Let me know if I can provide any additional info. Really need help on this, thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with optimizing BiPap settings, trouble falling asleep - switched from CPAP
Checking in on this. Appreciate any comments you all can provide
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with optimizing BiPap settings, trouble falling asleep - switched from CPAP
Bumping - any guidance would be really appreciated. Had another very bad central apnea night (attached). Feels like I haven't had a good sleep in years and CPAP/bipap is just flushing money down the toilet

Post Reply Post Reply
How do these results compare to your sleep on the CPAP? Did you experience similar issues with your previous machine?

One thing that stands out for me in the OSCAR data is how many leaks you have throughout the night - 23% is really high and could impact your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

That chart is less than an hour and most, if not all, of your centrals occurred while awake meaning they're likely the result of breath holding while you tossed trying to settle down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon. Attached are 2 full nights. Really interested in any ways I could cut down on Central Apneas....some of these clusters have me taking 0 or 1 breaths for over a minute.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.