Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Helping a Brother inlaw out
Helping a Brother inlaw out
This board has helped me with my DreamStation to get my AHI down between .5-2 with a bit of tweaking.  My normal untreated score is above 70 from what the Dr told me.

Now my brother in-law has been using has ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for several years now and his scores look horrible.  I know he was around the same untreated AHI as mine.  I see his system is set at 25# fixed.  Thinking-about. I can't imagine how the mask stays on his face.  I had to set my max at 15 because it tries to blow off my face and keeps me awake if it ever gets that high.

Has anyone ever worked with anything like this?  Sorry for all the screen shots.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Helping a Brother inlaw out.
The solution to this is very simple. With EPAP 18 and IPAP 25 and PS 7.0 your brother in law is over ventilated causing hypocapnea which results in the abundant central apnea we see in these charts. There is no obstruction and I’m sure we can lower both his pressure and pressure support. I suspect the settings are an error and will discuss below.

It would be helpful to see how these settings were obtained. If it was a titration test, it was either done wrong, or they are trying to control central apnea with the wrong machine. If we can get redacted sleep study and or titration study reports it will be very helpful. It would also help if he starts his own thread on the forum.

Your BIL is using Vauto mode at EPAP min 18, max Pressure 25 and PS 7. That is fixed pressure I suspect he should be at 18 to 25 with PS 4.0 which would allow Vauto mode to work. However if I was talking to him on the forum, I would start him at a minimum EPAP of 9.0, max pressure at 25 and PS 4.0 and observe results to properly titration him. I honestly would toss his current ineffective (if not harmful) setting in the bin and start over.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Helping a Brother inlaw out.
Thank you.  He's not very tech savvy but I will see if I can get him to join the board.

I will also see if he has his report, etc. from the Dr.

Thanks for the tips!

Tim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Helping a Brother inlaw out
Thank you SOOO much for supporting this software and the help.  Without this tool, my brother in-law would have been fighting his machine for ever.  Notice his scores and changes the Dr did over the years.  I can't imagine what it was like before or why they didn't call him back in until he was under 4 on a monthly average.

I'm going to let this setting bake for a week and see how it averages out.

Thanks again!

Post Reply Post Reply
You made all the right moves to titration up from my initial suggested 9-25 /PS 4. This looks excellent and could be a long term solution. It sure looks better. He owes you one. Feel free to give him the donation link. It’s certainly not required but it’s the only way the server and other expenses get paid.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.   I did donate right after posting the results.  Let me know if you didn’t see it.

Thanks

Can you believe the Drs office made those settings years ago?  I was just reading the sticky on picking the right machine and this screams that they never look at data outside of score...  in this case they didn’t even try to fix the score.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did I bugger up my brother's SD card in RESScan? edfreeman 2 1,233 09-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Last Post: edfreeman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.