Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi everyone
Smile 
Hi everyone
Hi everyone, I am brand new here and have been on Bipap for 9 years. I had no idea there was a forum and am so pleased to be here. I use a Resmed Aircurve 10 vauto and a Quattro full face mask at ridiculous pressures 17/13 prescribed 9 years ago. A new sleep study is out of the question with today's medical insurance. How do I go about finding the best settings these days? I already looked in clinician mode, it is on S and 17/13 inhale exhale. I tried vauto mode, got 4 episodes an hour, versus .1 on original S settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi everyone
Hi.  Don't fix wut ain't broke.*  Thumbs-up-2 

Your current machine and its settings, if the example you cite is to be taken as typical, are doing you a world of good....or have I missed something?  What is it that you wish to change, or to improve...and why?

*AHI less than 5 is considered to be 'treated', although almost all of us eventually achieve, or strive for, something less than about 2.  You are well ahead of it all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sorry for not stating my issue, a little nervous here. My complaint over the years with this setting is the pressures are so high, I get wakened a lot from the mask screaming, etc.
I was wondering if there is a procedure you folks use to "trim" back the pressure to see if it's ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, and thanks for your clarification; it helps a lot.

With such a low AHI, but you feeling 'fire-hosed' by your machine, you can start to lower the higher pressure, the Inspiration pressure, by perhaps two full cm at a time.  But try that for about three or four nights to establish a valid response from your body allowing for night-to-night variance.  So, you'd drop 2 cm on the high end, but do nothing else, nothing different, so that only the outfall from that single adjustment can be verified.  If you stay well under an AHI of 1, I'd try the same thing, 2 cm, and go another three nights, until either you feel 'relieved' or your numbers show a distinct and reliable climb above, say 2, for AHI.

Your low pressure is very high. You'd have to ensure your machine is set so that it offers exhalation relief from whatever setting you give it for the inhalation pressure. So, you can't reduce the high from 19 cm to 17 cm and not ensure the machine will also back off to relieve the pressure by at least 2cm when you exhale.

Please consider waiting for more expert advice than mine; you'll be sure to have it within a few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something to consider would be getting the OSCAR report tool and using it to post a few typical nights of sleep results. Charts help members see what’s going on and then that opens conversation about settings edit suggestions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We like to recommend changes based on data, daily charts from OSCAR,.
This let's see and evaluate what is happening without incomplete info.

In general we would lower pressures in a controlled fashion. One question that will affect pressure recommendations is what are your EPR settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.