Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High AHI after switching from Wisp mask to Nuance Pro?
High AHI after switching from Wisp mask to Nuance Pro?
I recently made the switch from the Respironics Wisp nasal mask to the Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask. It's been 5 days now and my AHI has more than doubled. 

In the Wisp my AHI was normally 3.5 - 5 range, give or take a bit. With the Nuance Pro I've yet to see an AHI below 10, and last night was over 13! I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if nasal pillows just aren't for me. I did switch the mask setting from x1 to x2, per the instructions with the pillows. Started with my normal range of pressure (6.5 - 14) but had to bump it up. I saw a slight improvement bumping it to 7.5 starting, but a decline in sleep quality starting above that. With the Wisp I was getting a 90% of around 12-13 pressure whereas with the Nuance Pro my 90% seems to have been consistantly around 10.

I really want to make this work as the Wisp's exhaust and overall sound is noisy enough to keep my wife up whereas the Nuance is very quiet. Plus, I can't side sleep on the Wisp without leaks. 

I'm in a bad way to the point I'm considering returning the Nuance Pro and exchanging for a Dreamwear, though I'm not sure how to line up the pillow size between the two. I'm a large on the Nuance Pro. I don't have a DME and buy my equipment independently. Usually from Amazon. For what it's worth I have a prescription (or rather, was diagnosed and can get my prescription from my doctor, but don't physically have it), but the DME my doctor works with was gouging hard it seems like on price. They wanted $1100 for a Dreamstation and basic mask and I bought the exact setup they offered on my own for just over $400. So unfortunately due to this, I don't have a provider to work with per se.

Can anybody help with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI after switching from Wisp mask to Nuance Pro?
Sounds like your doctor and DME are in cohoots together.  First, get a copy of your prescription and sleep study.  You have a right to those, and you will need that script if you order online or with another DME?

I can't advise on mask selection as it's a personal preference, and it takes some time to find what works for you.

As far as ordering the Dreamwear mask, be sure to order the fit pack.  This way, you receive all three size cushions.

Also, look over the Supplier list at the top of page.  Most offer a 30 day trial on masks.  You may have to pay for shipping to return.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 09:38 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Sounds like your doctor and DME are in cohoots together.  First, get a copy of your prescription and sleep study.  You have a right to those, and you will need that script if you order online or with another DME?

I can't advise on mask selection as it's a personal preference, and it takes some time to find what works for you.

As far as ordering the Dreamwear mask, be sure to order the fit pack.  This way, you receive all three size cushions.

Also, look over the Supplier list at the top of page.  Most offer a 30 day trial on masks.  You may have to pay for shipping to return.

Yeah, the plan was to order the fitpack on Amazon, they have it for around ~$60. It's a medium frame. Be nice to have options there but from my understanding the medium frame fits over 90% of people's heads, the cushion is the part that usually varies.
Post Reply Post Reply
They also have the newest Dreamwear with Gel Pillows (fit pack) #1124984 for about $71.00.

From what I understand, the gel pillows and nasal mask are interchangeable on the frame.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 10:00 AM)OpalRose Wrote: They also have the newest Dreamwear with Gel Pillows (fit pack) #1124984 for about $71.00.

From what I understand, the gel pillows and nasal mask are interchangeable on the frame.

That's awesome news at least. I'd love to have options. 

Between that and the swivel on top of the head, I kind of regret going for the Nuance Pro in the first place in lieu of the Dreamwear option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried the Dreamwear nasal and couldn't use it due to the fact that I'm a side sleeper and it would push off my face when laying on my side, others here seem to have no issues with this.  

I've since ordered a gel pillow for the Dreamwear, and swapped it out on the frame and now the mask doesn't move at all when I lay on my side.  Now I have options, but I still love my P10 mask the best.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tomkatt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well for you, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've boxed up the Nuance Pro to return it. I'm not happy with the performance with it. Not saying it's a bad mask, lots of people seem to love it, but it's not for me. I'm back on my Wisp again seeing an AHI of 3-4 last night, and am looking to buy the Dreamwear after my return processes. We'll see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 283 Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Switching from Dreamstation to Airsense 11 rorielly 8 1,082 04-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Swaggy
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 191 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 179 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 206 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.