Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best mask for African nose shape?
RE: Best mask for African nose shape?
Honestly, I have pondered this question since it was posted.

I have a wide nose, but I'm white. Ever since this question was posted, I've been looking at people's noses when I'm out in public (which I've done a lot of since going on CPAP, but even moreso since this question), and now have been trying to notice black people's noses. I'm seeing they tend to be flat, but wide. (But I hate even making a generalization based on my observation, since I - like Bonjour - have been chastised by others IRL when I've made a comment WRT someone's ethnicity/race/whatever-the-right-word-is.)

Personally, to try to answer this question, I'd have to guess, and I'd use my personal experience of having a large nose, albeit not a flat nose.

I wonder if the DreamWear would be good. The original one (not the pillows, and not the FFM). They make a medium-wide cushion.

I have had success with the F20 with memory foam. It's the only FFM that stays sealed on me throughout the night. But I agree with RagtopCircus that the edges do end up curling in, which could encroach on the edges of the nose. I use a size small cushion for the F20 because the distance from the bridge of my nose to the crease before my chin is short. But I wear it high up on the bridge of my nose because if it sits where it's supposed to, it cuts off my air because it pinches the bridge of my nose.

I do notice that many of the pillows I've tried are shaped in an ecliptical way (oval shape), and the oval shape would be perpendicular to the direction a flatter & wider nose would need.

So this makes me want to reiterate what Bonjour said: every face/nose is so different and unique, so it's important to go into a DME and try a bunch on for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 466 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.