Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High mask pressure causing RERA?
High mask pressure causing RERA?
Something I've noticed in my CPAP therapy is that sometimes I wake up when the pressure gets high or there's a large leak. Recently I've been feeling very sleepy during the day and needing extra naps, even though I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep and my AHI is under 5.

If a large leak occurs, it's typically because the pressure is high, and I'm a side sleeper and might have pushed the mask a little off-center. I can't do nasal pillows because I'm a mouth breather and often feel like I can't get enough air if I try breathing through my nose.

Sometimes I wake up too early in the morning due to the sound and feeling of high pressure, and I wish I could sleep an extra hour but can't get back to sleep since I've been woken up. Other times, it looks like I've gotten enough hours of sleep, but I still feel super sleepy during the day, and when I look in OSCAR, I do see some RERAs or leaks over the night and am wondering if it's simply poor quality sleep, not deep enough sleep. When the max pressure was set lower at 14, my AHI was higher, usually anywhere from 7-18, so I think that this higher pressure is keeping AHI under control.

I've thought about alternatives to CPAP like the Inspire hypoglossal nerve stimulator but I regularly see CAs in OSCAR, and anecdotally people have told me that I sometimes stop breathing in my sleep (which is what prompted me to get a sleep study). Is central apnea a disqualifier for Inspire?

Any suggestions for better quality sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High mask pressure causing RERA?
We can try flattening your pressure chart. That we would do by adding EPR into the mix.

Set EPR=3, Fulltime. If it is too much it can be lowered. You have a few CA events and this may increase them

Set min pressure=7. Note this will bring your EPAP down to a min of 4 so we will be watching your OA events.

Post the results and we will see.

The amount of CA events you have are insignificant and should not disqualify you from Inspire therapy. Inspire only resolves a very specific cause of OSA so you still may not qualify.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High mask pressure causing RERA?
Welcome,
CA is not an airway blockage type of breathing halt, and hypoglossal nerve stimulator is meant to keep stimulating the tissue to aid in keeping the airway open.

update: I agree with Gideon on the lack of EPR, I just usually bump up EPR gradually. Have you used a high EPR before?  It may make you feel like the machine is trying to take over (almost forcing an exhale or inhale before you would naturally.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,426 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 179 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.