Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
I finally made it through the night wearing the new Quattro FX.
I had been using the Swift FX Nasal Pillow System but had to use the DIY boil&bite to control mouth leaks so I wanted to see how the Quattro FX would work for me.

With the Swift FX I only saw 1 hypopnea, 1 OH and 4 CAs over a 5 day period. Last night using the Quattro FX I had 0 hypopneas, 5 OH and 3 CAs for just last night.

The leak rate for both masks were well below the 24L/min threshold so the data should be reliable.

Does changing the mask type require a change in CPAP pressure as well? Has anyone else noticed a similar result when changing masks?
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
(03-31-2012, 11:41 AM)pssnn Wrote: I finally made it through the night wearing the new Quattro FX.
I had been using the Swift FX Nasal Pillow System but had to use the DIY boil&bite to control mouth leaks so I wanted to see how the Quattro FX would work for me.

With the Swift FX I only saw 1 hypopnea, 1 OH and 4 CAs over a 5 day period. Last night using the Quattro FX I had 0 hypopneas, 5 OH and 3 CAs for just last night.

The leak rate for both masks were well below the 24L/min threshold so the data should be reliable.

Does changing the mask type require a change in CPAP pressure as well? Has anyone else noticed a similar result when changing masks?

pressure should be the same regardless of mask. every mask is different, whether its nasal or full face. every mask could give you different results because of how it fits to your face and how you sleep. all full face masks will not give the same result as well as all nasal masks will not give the same result. this is why it is important to keep testing and find the mask that is the most comfortable vs acceptable results.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2012, 11:41 AM)pssnn Wrote: I finally made it through the night wearing the new Quattro FX.

I don't know. Were the mask pressures in Sleepyhead the same for the two sets of results?

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change the S9 mask setting from pillows to full face
AHI can vary from one night to the next you need to use the mask a bit longer to make a comparison providing leak and hours slept with the mask are similar also the S9 can,t distinguish if you,re asleep or awake
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2012, 02:53 PM)Netskier Wrote: I don't know. Were the mask pressures in Sleepyhead the same for the two sets of results?

I hadn't thought to look at that but on review the mask pressures are pretty much the same for both masks.

(03-31-2012, 03:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Did you change the S9 mask setting from pillows to full face
AHI can vary from one night to the next you need to use the mask a bit longer to make a comparison providing leak and hours slept with the mask are similar also the S9 can,t distinguish if you,re asleep or awake

I did forget to change the S9 "mask type" setting for the first part of the evening but thought about it in the middle of the night and changed it on the fly.

I did have the new oximeter running last night and none of the OAs appeared to cause any significant decrease in O2.

I guess I'll just keep logging and try to see if there is some trend.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
After using the Quattro FX for about a week now and then using the Swift FX nasal pillows there is no doubt that using the full face mask results in more obstructive apneas (OAs) for me. I am seeing 5-9 OAs per night with the Quattro but 0-1 OAs with Swift FX. I would have never expected such a result but thanks to this forum and all the great information here I was able to discover what is happening.

The problem with the nasal pillows is my mouth breathing causing higer leak statistics and episodes of super dry mouth. With the Full face mask I have great leak statistics but instead of curing my OAs (as with the pillows) it is much worse.

I'm thinking that I would be better off not worrying about the leaks and should just switch back to the pillows mask since I have an AHI close to zero when using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 05:37 PM)pssnn Wrote: The problem with the nasal pillows is my mouth breathing causing higer leak statistics and episodes of super dry mouth. With the Full face mask I have great leak statistics but instead of curing my OAs (as with the pillows) it is much worse.

If you're mouth-breathing with a nasal mask and have an OA, the machine won't be able to record it.

Quote:I'm thinking that I would be better off not worrying about the leaks and should just switch back to the pillows mask since I have an AHI close to zero when using it.

Try a chin strap. Hopefully it'll be a temporary situation until your body acclimates to the therapy and the nasal pillows.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different, with me got more leaks with full face mask than nasal mask but use a chinstrap with the nasal mask.
I,m not bothered by leaks as long as don,t get to eyes , too high or disturb my sleep and also think comfort and how you feel are important too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster,

I forgot to mention that I know mouth breathing is not obscuring OAs when using the nasal pillows because I made the boil and bite mouthpiece which pretty much eliminates mouth breathing leaks. It is just a pain to wear it all night. The chin strap or tape did not work at all for me.

Zonk,
I agree that comfort is also important and the pillows are a lot more comfortable to me if I dont use the mouthpiece and just accept some leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 07:44 PM)pssnn Wrote: I forgot to mention that I know mouth breathing is not obscuring OAs when using the nasal pillows because I made the boil and bite mouthpiece which pretty much eliminates mouth breathing leaks.

Well, if you're convinced you're not mouth-breathing, and you're getting a lower AHI with the pillows, it seems that's the way to go.

Quote: It is just a pain to wear it all night. The chin strap or tape did not work at all for me.

Is this boil&bite mouthpiece the device used to prevent teeth grinding, a night guard? You can get one made for you by a dentist that'll hopefully be more comfortable. I wear one, but it didn't stop me from mouth-breathing.

My chin strap helped me, but I would still mouth-breathe on occassion with it. After a while I didn't need it anymore.

Taping is dangerous, but I don't understand how you were able to mouth-breathe with your mouth taped shut!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.