Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Time User of the P30i - Nose sensitivity
First Time User of the P30i - Nose sensitivity
Long story short gave the medium P30i cushion a try last night due to the N30i cushion sliding up towards the tip of my nose and waking me up several times a night.  Had a great sleep with low leaks and decent results.  The CSR from Lofta recommended a little Aquaphor or Lanolin within the tip of my nose during the break-in period.  I have very sensitive skin and have a slight deviation to my septum after 8 years of having it fixed. My only gripe about the P30i is that the inside of my nostrils towards the septum are a little sensitive today.  How long does it take for your nose to "break in" or get used to the pillows?  If this doesn't work I might try the F&P Evora Nasal Cushion since it supposedly has a seal that inflates to keep the cushion in place.  Not sure if ResMed nasal cushion mask does that.  
TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Time User of the P30i - Nose sensitivity
Keep telling my wife my nostrils are stretching and getting bigger. Wink may be true too.

Had the same issue - love the comfort of the N30i but could not tame the leaks enough to stick with it. Went to the P30i and have had very low leaks but the first 2 weeks my nostrils felt stretched! Soreness would be gone in an hour or two but was not pleasant with a medium pillow. went to a large size and it does leak a tad more but 95% of the soreness went away.

I also use light lanolin in and around my nostrils right before bed and it seems to keep the pillows from sticking to the skin and creating micro tears. At the end of use taking them off very gently seems to help as well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes it helps to use the next size larger nasal pillow so that it rests on the outside of the nares rather than penetrating into the nostrils. Large pillow size will flow better and needs to be tried for fit.

I'm not aware of nasal pillows making your nose or nostrils larger, however I am affected by rhinophyma of the nose that has caused thickening and widening of my nose. I am going to have surgical dermabrasion next week to address that and will be using a Fit-Life mask temporarily during healing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck with your surgery.  Thank you for the advice.  That should be an interesting mask to use short term.  You never know you might like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have tried the mask, and it does a lot of flexing with bilevel pressure. Other than having to pull the straps tighter, it will get me by for as long as I need it. It is a worthy solution for someone that can't wear a mask or pillows on their nose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the same problem at times as the OP. What I found effective was actually going from the medium cushion to the small cushion. Might be just a coincidence but my leak rate improved and my ahi went down a bit. I do put just a dab of  lanisol on the inside just as a precautions every night. I did use a medium cushion with the P10 and with the P30i initially and sometimes still do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting - I've been looking at this model too!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the P30i for about the last two months and nasal sensitivity has improved a lot. At first it was painful. Also, it took a while to get the strap and tightness down to a minimum that still prevents leaks but also doesn't aggravate the nose as much. Plus the nose and nostrils have toughened up a bit over time as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.