Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Holes and vents in masks?
Question 
Holes and vents in masks?
Okay, I got a bit of a curiosity question here. Almost all masks that I have seen, have some form of holes or vents cut into them. Now these vents don't seem to be unidirectional based on exhalation vs. inhalation, so they seem to be always leaking air out no matter what. Is there a standard volume of air leakage that these vents are designed to expel? Doesn't the volumetric rate change based on your machine pressure settings? Also isn't this inefficient if your machine is set to a certain pressure, but most of that pressure is being leaked out constantly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Holes and vents in masks?
I don't know standard volume or mechanics of it all but without some sort of vent on the masks we would be reinhaling our own CO2 so maybe not efficient design but necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every mask has a pressure/leak rate chart published in the mask's documentation that accompanies the mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For safety sake: Never tape/cover the holes or alter them in any way.

The Flow rate does increase with increased pressure.

The air you are expelling is being flushed out of the holes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I type to slow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 456 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.