Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How I survived the first 60 days
How I survived the first 60 days
A few years ago, my in-law tried cpap for a few days, then gave up. A few similar stories circulated at the office over time.

When my turn came, I resolved to stick it out. The vendor bent over backwards with mask and settting suggestions. But around midnight #12, I ripped the mask off my face. The next day I called the doc.

She prescribed 30 days Diazapam 5mg per night plus Melatonin as needed. Problem solved.

The Diazapam is no longer required, but I'll probably use the Melatonin (and cpap) forever.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How I survived the first 60 days
Thank-you for going to the trouble of relating your experience to us.  I am pleased that you have a positive story to tell.

Your story reminds me of the Yorkshire vet, James Herriot (in real life he was Alf Wight), who tells us that he had a very ill dog that he couldn't fix.  He finally decided to do a semi-euthanization where he knocked the dog out with drugs and kept it in a coma for several days.  When he allowed the dog to awaken, it was as right as rain and raring to go.  Your team decided to use a bigger hammer, and it worked!
Post Reply Post Reply
Love it!

(Don't tell anyone, but my numbers went down and I was still exhausted. Just not falling asleep at my desk.
The doc added 200mg of armodafinal for daytime, and I instantly became 20 years younger... mentally.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, good to read, indeed.  I seem to be able to fall asleep easily, but rarely sleep for more than 1-1/2 hours per session.  Maybe I'm just a light sleeper.  My wife uses Melatonin every night with mixed results, but without it she only logs 3 to 4 hours cumulative according to her Fitbit.  Maybe I'll try a few and see if I can edge closer to a full uninterrupted nights sleep.  Worth a try.

Thanks  for the post f150.

RayBee
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I retired 15 years ago I have been a good sleeper, but not a long sleeper.  I typically log between 5.5 and 6.5 hours.  When I feel myself dragging my butt, I will take a melatonin tablet, but this only happens every 10-14 days.  I have read that habitual use will lead to...well...habituation, so I keep them 'fresh' like a do a beer or a piece of chocolate...seldom, but oh-so-fine when I get it.  And that seems to work.  Melatonin doesn't really alter the quality of my sleep so much as it tends to extend it by about a full hour.  That one blissful night sets me up for the next cycle of slow discharging.
Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone takes antidepressants in the serotonin range they should supplement with low dose melatonin. Melatonin is made from serotonin so if you bind more serotonin you have less for conversion to melatonin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2019, 07:56 AM)crowtor Wrote: If anyone takes antidepressants in the serotonin range they should supplement with low dose melatonin. Melatonin is made from serotonin so if you bind more serotonin you have less for conversion to melatonin.

This doesn't seem to follow for me.  Anti-depressants are SSRI types in the case that deal with serotonin, and that means the drug is meant to leave more serotonin in the synapses.  What SSRI means is that it inhibits the reabsorption of serotonin too early by the reuptake enzymes. Depression is linked to low levels of serotonin, and this is often done by too much enzymatic reuptake in the synapses. So, if a person is on SSRI anti-depressants, there should be MORE serotonin available, not less.  When there is more serotonin, the byproduct of its metabolism by the body is to produce more tryptophans which is available for melatonin production.  Ergo, SSRIs allow the body to do a better job of producing its own melatonin.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/44422...ith-ssris/

https://atlasofscience.org/melatonin-and...disorders/
Post Reply Post Reply
For me Melatonin is like many drugs in that your dose goes up as time goes on. My understanding from my own studies as well as my doctor's leads me to believe that it's about as toxic as fish oil, ie, toxicity for a 200lb person = 21 grams!

Diazapam's a different story. It was fine for a soup starter, but I'm not interested in a long term relationship.

In any event, getting comfortable with the cpap equipment was well worth a little drug abuse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 905 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,096 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.