Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation?
How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation?
Lately I have been having trouble sleeping for more than 6 to 7 hours a night, no matter how early I go to sleep. I have been having trouble getting high therapy hours (or any at all) with 2 masks on multiple device settings. Every week I get 1 or 2 nights of hypanagogic sleep, where I don't "physically" wake up, yet in my dreams i can recall waking up maybe a 100 times that night.

I see the results in my mental health. I am wayy past the phase of just being tired all day. I am starting to suffer episodes of delirium. That is - mental fog, poor awareness of space and time, slurred speech, moaning and mumbling - ive got like 80% of the symptoms of delirium, minus the hallucinations. Though I have been getting more paranoid. Whenever I look at myself in the mirror when undergoing those episodes my eyes give the "thousand yard state".

Is it common to suffer delirium from sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation?
I can't answer your question with respect to delirium from sleep apnea but know that sleep deprivation can have serious consequences. If your pressure setting is 4 as stated in your profile I'm not surprised that you are having problems. Most people feel starved for air at such a low setting. Was this setting prescribed or did you select it?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I see that you are not using any diagnostic software, so you may wish to download OSCAR and start tracking your results. Perhaps posting a few screenshots could be helpful and produce some useful comments from forum members.

I would suggest that you investigate the need for supplemental oxygen and have a cardio-pulmonary workup to rule out any underlying physical issues. You do not indicate if you take medications, some of which can produce the symptoms you describe.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with both the above comments. 4 as a pressure is doing you no good. Most adults will need at least 6 just to keep the air starvation feeling from happening. Also the fact that you're flying blind with no way to see the sleep data the CPAP is producing is not helpful. Get OSCAR and post a standard screenshot. Pressure setting experts will comment on optimizing the machine. If you're feeling as bad as it sounds, you're in need of making changes quickly. I know in my past, sleep deprivation was very bad for my health, and it sounds like yours is worse. Take action on this quickly and that means you get to feeling better sooner. Best wishes on success ASAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2020, 10:34 PM)NoddingHacker Wrote: Whenever I look at myself in the mirror when undergoing those episodes my eyes give the "thousand yard state".

Sounds like your having oxygen deprivation on top of sleep deprivation, get a o2 oxymeter and use it for a couple of hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Therapy thread - sleep deprivation (canigetawitness1992) canigetawitness1992 16 1,841 08-02-2023, 10:28 PM
Last Post: canigetawitness1992
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  If you suffer from TMJ, Cervical collar can make it worse CorruptAlligator 0 724 02-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.