Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
RE: How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
(08-17-2017, 09:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bad habits are hard to break, and removing the mask is a habit that needs to change to one that adjusts and secures the mask.  I don't know a magic solution to keeping the mask on your face, but a couple things to think about.  Is the tubing supported over your head, or loosely draped across the bed?  Suspending the hose can eliminate the potential be it getting tangled and removing the mask, and it's just more comfortable.  

You know that if you don't demonstrate compliance by using this machine at least 4-hours in 21 out of 30 days, you will lose it.  Your health depends on you resolving this issue soon, even if it means using the machine while awake.  If it comes to that, just flip it to CPAP mode and breath and watch TV, but get in your hours.

(09-13-2017, 09:58 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hey y'all,

A quick update to help others: the only thing that really helped was 1 simple thing, not quitting! I made myself fill the water tank every night, put the mask on and use it. It didn't matter how much I used it, but I had to build a new habit to replace the old habit. Yes the sleep aid did assist some so I get rest but not quitting still was the key.

Tonight will be day 20 in a thirty day period. I missed a day here and there but I'm sticking with it far better than with the other blowers. And as bad as I felt due too sleep deprivation, I'm just starting to feel like it's being reversed ever so slightly. Uh that's a good thing BTW. As in it's not getting worse.

Dave B.

Well Mr. B, the use of the word "habit" is where we started, and that is pretty much what needed to change.  Recognizing this problem for what it is, allows new users to replace a bad habit with successful ones.   You went through hell to get the machine that works, and in the process formed bad habits that you have now broken.  Your advise will have a lot of value coming from someone who has been there, and done that.   Keep on keeping on!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The support here really helps a lot. Sounds like many of us have the "Been There Done That" t-shirt for something involving apnea treatment. A. B. is a group effort.

And I've heard it said true wisdom comes from learning from the mistakes of others.

Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Happy Thursday everyone.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Find the mask that fits you the best, that's what I did to stop mask removal !
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks swift. It's true that the mask choice is most important. That's the part you see and touch all the time. It's the mask that you remember for good or bad. And it doesn't matter how good the blower is, if your mask is wrong in any way, it's all wrong.

My AirFit F20 is making it great now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
 have a quick release that I got on the internet. You dont have to fight getting the mask seperated from the machine hose. It easily slips off and there is no leakage. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
link to quick release  Commercial Link Removed, Instead search Supplier #29 for ResMed Quick Release Swivel.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Huhsign  Hi all, very newb here and I don't understand half of all what these things mean. I have an Air Curve 10 ASV, and I have two questions please: 1. What is the difference between Smart Start & Ramp Time or do they work in conjunction with one another?  2. Why are my read outs consistently saying a large amount of mask removals when I haven't removed my mask except for when I wake up in the morning?
Thanks in advance, I have a feeling this is just the first of many questions, although I try to research and do as much reading on my own before asking.  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Smart Start is Resmed's auto start and stop feature.  It is suppose to start your CPAP when it senses you breathing and stop when it no longer senses any backpressure, meaning you took off the mask.

Ramp is a feature that allows the patient to start at a lower pressure for a certain time (45 minutes maximum) before raising to a therapeutic pressure.  

Your mask removals may be due to major mask leaks.  If you are using Auto Start, it may interpret these leaks as a mask removal and stop the blower.

I hope this may have answered your questions.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 01:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Welcome
Smart Start is Resmed's auto start and stop feature.  It is suppose to start your CPAP when it senses you breathing and stop when it no longer senses any backpressure, meaning you took off the mask.

Ramp is a feature that allows the patient to start at a lower pressure for a certain time (45 minutes maximum) before raising to a therapeutic pressure.  

Your mask removals may be due to major mask leaks.  If you are using Auto Start, it may interpret these leaks as a mask removal and stop the blower.

Thanks It seems like I read somewhere that this machine can be programmed to "sense" your breaths to know when you have fallen asleep, but I cannot find where I read it in order to know how to set it. Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 01:23 PM)skubler Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 01:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Welcome

Thanks It seems like I read somewhere that this machine can be programmed to "sense" your breaths to know when you have fallen asleep, but I cannot find where I read it in order to know how to set it. Any ideas?

We have the same machine, so I'll take a swing at this. This breath sensing is an automatic function through the ASV algorithm. This function will depend on the machine running in, unless I'm mistaken, ASV Auto mode. I'm quite certain this feature would be off if running in CPAP mode. Not so sure about ASV mode, as I only use ASV Auto mode.

Breath sensing BTW will happen per breath, making adjustments within the settings that are current. These settings are as follows: EPAP Min and Max, and pressure support (PS) Min and Max. IPAP is determined by EPAP plus PS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 101 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 324 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 174 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 266 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 642 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,900 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,095 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.