Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do you clean the interior of the cpap device?
Question 
How do you clean the interior of the cpap device?
Hey all, 

I've been thinking about it and wondering how you/one would clean the inside of the cpap machines near the impeller so that cruft/bugs doesn't accumulate? It doesn't seem easy without significant disassembly of the units beyond what a user would normally do
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do you clean the interior of the cpap device?
I’ve never attempted to clean the inside of my cpap machine. I don’t think it is necessary as long as I keep the filters in good condition. I clean the interior of the humidifier and humidifier seals every once in a while.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
well I suppose it depends on where the air flows to - if the air flows back through the impeller, then that could get quite "gungy"
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 07:34 PM)Keljian Wrote: well I suppose it depends on where the air flows to - if the air flows back through the impeller, then that could get quite "gungy"

Based upon what I've read, the manufacturers assume that no expired air ever reaches inside the the machine.  In reprocessing machines, they never recommend any kind of cleaning of the machine itself, except the outside case.

Between patients, Resmed recommends cleaning or replacing the mask (for obvious reasons), the tube (which definitely does get some of your expired air and which also gets a lot of moisture and may develop mold or mildew), the humidifier chamber (which probably doesn't get expired air but does get mold/mildew buildup since it is so humid), and the air outlet adapter (for the same reason as the humidifier).  Note that Resmed makes two types of humidifier chambers.  Once can be cleaned between patients and the other is not suitable for cleaning and should be replaced.

Based upon my observations of he machine, as long as the machine is on while you're breathing, your germs should never get all the way down the tube and into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 08:14 PM)Reznik Wrote: Based upon my observations of he machine, as long as the machine is on while you're breathing, your germs should never get all the way down the tube and into the machine.

I wander if the same is true if you're using the auto-on mode, which means the first few breaths are with the machine off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 06:35 PM)Keljian Wrote: I've been thinking about it and wondering how you/one would clean the inside of the cpap machines near the impeller so that cruft/bugs doesn't accumulate? It doesn't seem easy without significant disassembly of the units beyond what a user would normally do

Taking it apart is the only way to do it, and many of us have done just that. Unfortunately the impeller on a ResMed is sealed so there is no way to clean the impeller blades. On the older Philips Respironics System One machines you can clean the impeller blades.

There is very recent thread here on this where a member posted a video of how to clean and re-assemble the older ResMed S9.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You generally don't need to do this unless you are pretty confident that you have a bed bug or roach problem. To open the unit, you need a Torx screwdriver and a LOT of hand power. Once you have that tool, it's not a problem. I would then use alcohol on a lot of swabs to swab out the inside and REPLACE the foam insert.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bed Bugs and Roach problems? At that point I'd toss the machine and hire a good exterminator.

eeew
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,041 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 365 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 451 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 327 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.