Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do you use a buckwheat pillow to get the best results?
How do you use a buckwheat pillow to get the best results?
I just ordered a buckwheat pillow and am looking for advice on how to get the best results. I sleep on my back most of the time an believe I am tucking my chin causing my AHI and pressure to be higher than it needs to be. 

Thanks for any help in advance. ?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do you use a buckwheat pillow to get the best results?
for back sleeping, I'd leave it as flat as you can tolerate; maybe bunch it up a bit under the back of your neck to raise your chin. for side sleeping, I bunch it all up (mine isn't as big as a regular pillow) to fill the space between my shoulder and neck, extending to just above my ear, and back far enough to hang my face and mask off the side. but that's just me. it won't take long to discover what works best and is most comfortable for you.

edited to add that I use a soft cervical collar, mainly for lip leaks but for chin tuck as well. I don't think the buckwheat pillow alone resolves my tendency for chin tucking, but I guess it is less likely to cause it than my contoured foam pillow, for example. I get best results with the combination of collar and buckwheat pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, the pillow should support your neck and let your head fall back a bit which means removing a lot of the buckwheat husks. My preferred pillow is down. i recently got one at Costco for under $30 which is a medium fill, standard size down-fill pillow. I do not like down-substitute (spun polyester) or foam.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love buckwheat pillows because you can form it to the shape you like. I put more of the filling under my neck, and I also dig my fist in where my mask might hit the pillow (so it doesn't plug my exhale vents).

You'll probably have to experiment with removing some of the buckwheat, because they come filled pretty densely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. 
Got my pillow and was I surprised! Much heavier and dense than I expected. I removed what I think was about 1/4 of the buckwheat. It will definitively needs some getting used to. 

What I like is how you can “mold” it to your back and it will hold that shape. It is more comfortable than the memory foam CPAP pillow I was using. I may have to remove more buckwheat but I will my current amount fro a few weeks. 

I am sleeping better especially on my side as you can move the stuffing to accommodate the face mask.  I was hoping to eliminate the collar and I still might but it might still take some adjustments and retraining. 

I appreciate any suggestions.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! I removed about half of the filling from mine, and that was perfect for me. It's nice to get one with a zipper, so that can be an option.

I bought the "FaceFit Pillow" (on Amazon). I like that it has a "gusset" (it has sides so it can be thick all the way to the edge, rather than just sewn around the entire edge and only being thicker in the middle). It's also a mix of memory foam chunks & buckwheat... so I assume it's a little softer than just buckwheat. But still, it was quite shocking, and I wondered what I'd just wasted money on. After a couple nights, especially after dumping out (into a bag to save for down the road) some - and then more - of the filling, I fell in love.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the largest one (regular pillow size) so I could use a regular pillow case. No gusset but with the size, I can still push extra buckwheat to the edge and get a similar effect. 

Sleeping better and liking it more every day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both of you might want to add reviews to the Review Forum. Your thoughts on products like this can help others more in the form of a review than lost in some random thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider! I'll do that!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm interesting.

I will look out for the reviews.

Saw some buckwheat pillows in a bed shop today, I must say they are quite heavy. Had a quick lie down, they do seem to hold your head in a more stable position. AUD 50, hmm.

But the noise...any comments on the noise from these pillows? for you and / or your better half?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,863 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.