Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How far can I go with Clinical setting changes?
How far can I go with Clinical setting changes?
I just got a new Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. Turns out that several settings were not turned on in initial setup. My dinosaur machine had no modem to transmit data, it used an SD card. The DME Provider tells me that they can see “everything” I do on this machine, that they even get notifications if I take out the SD card. I’ll talk to my provider and request the desired changes if need be. But my question to those of you who have knowledge of this technology, can I go into clinical settings and make changes without getting in a load of trouble with my DME provider, my doctor and Medicare? Or should I wait until my 3 month trial is up and then make desired changes in hopes they have stopped spying on me by then?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How far can I go with Clinical setting changes?
In my experience, we can make whatever changes we like.  I believe the only thing DMEs and insurance concern themselves with is compliance. I'll add that my Dr. has no interest in seeing data. Just asks me each year if my AHI is under 5. Initially, I had the same concern as you. I asked my Dr. to order the changes I wanted and 3 days later they were made remotely by the DME. Since then I have made changes without consulting him and it appeared no one noted or cared. The experience of others may be different.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME may or may not care about any changes you make. Some members have experienced a negative reaction, even to the extent of the DME restoring the original settings remotely. However, there is such a thing as "informed consent" - it is illegal (here in Oz anyway) for any health professional to perform a procedure unless the patient has been fully informed of the procedure, consequences and possible hazards, and then given explicit consent for the procedure to take place.

If you get any BS from the DME remind them that you do not consent to their changing the machine settings without your explicit instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2019, 06:25 PM)Donna Wrote: I just got a new Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. Turns out that several settings were not turned on in initial setup. My dinosaur machine had no modem to transmit data, it used an SD card. The DME Provider tells me that they can see “everything” I do on this machine, that they even get notifications if I take out the SD card. I’ll talk to my provider and request the desired changes if need be. But my question to those of you who have knowledge of this technology, can I go into clinical settings and make changes without getting in a load of trouble with my DME provider, my doctor and Medicare? Or should I wait until my 3 month trial is up and then make desired changes in hopes they have stopped spying on me by then?

You have a right to be an approver of your own therapy.  Honestly, your insurance/Medicare doesn't care.  They care that you are using your equipment because the equipment is expensive and a lot of patients just quit.  Most of the "regulars" here manage their own settings.  

The DME's position is they cannot make therapy changes without the doctor's orders (prescription).  That is the law.  You can.  The doctor may or may not like that, probably will not like that.  One approach, at least until it is untenable, is to ask the doctor to make a change and tell him why (demonstrate your knowledge). Stating that you know how and asking him if he agrees with the change is one approach.  Collectively you can get a lot of help from this forum.  

How you proceed is up to you.  You can take info we provide and take it to your medical team or make the changes yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The situation is quite different here in the UK and I refrained from making any comment till your countrymen / women had done so.

We get annual machine/medical checks here in London and I am due for my second in 2 weeks. Technically the machine belongs to the NHS although I doubt much would be done if we threw it away and did not return it. Last year I brought my little MacBook air with me and showed the technician my sleepyhead statistics to prove I had used my own autoset (purchased from America) for 3 months as the hospital did not have any stat for that usage. As such I was fully compliant barring a couple of nights of illness. I advised them of my membership on this board and the knowledge I gained here to be able to manipulate my own pressures etc. They were was suitably impressed and were very pleased with and happy for me as they clearly could confirm my stats.

My point is I believe most confident and competent medical professionals would(should?) appreciate knowledgeable patients/clients who take a healthy interest in their own health.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did go into clinical settings and turn on Essentials Plus so I could see what is going on. Apparently that feature provides more information to engaged patients (possibly info they don’t want me to see). I also enabled Smartstart. Now let’s see if I have to go to CPAP jail for breaking and entering! ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you'll go to jail Donna, but you might get 50 lashes with a limp lettuce. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2019, 06:25 PM)Donna Wrote: The DME Provider tells me that they can see “everything” I do on this machine, that they even get notifications if I take out the SD card.

The machine uses the cell phone network to communicate with Big Brother. To what extent your insurance company monitors your activity, or what they can do about things, is unknown to me. If it happens to be making a connection needing data from the SD card, and the cards happens to not be there, I can see how an error message might be sent out as a "notification".
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  [Admin Note] Wanted: ResMed AirCurve 11 Clinical Guides (Clinician Manuals) SuperSleeper 1 251 03-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 425 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.