Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long does it take?
How long does it take?
How long does it take to get consistent 8 hours of sleep with the machine?  After a month wearing the machine is all over the place.  The sleep times can be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 hours.  Also there is no improvement.  It's up and down all the time.  

I am wondering how long it takes as this is like a prison sentence for me.  I try to use it and sleep hasn't improved so I feel worse.  Already feeling socially and financially poor as I have lost a lot from lacking sleep.  It's very depressing.
RE: How long does it take?
Welcome to the forum.
The answer is it varies.  
Step 1 is to make sure that your therapy is working for you and it sounds like not very well.

Here at AB we like to base our advice on data, not guesses, and the data we like to use is from OSCAR 
OSCAR provides a lot more detail that your medical team typically looks at so I very strongly urge you to Post a set of daily chart organized as per the link in my signature so we see the most important ones. This gives us the ability to say "THIS is what is happening and thus you need to change these settings for these reasons."
OK so how long does it take for you to post OSCAR data? Including this, 3 threads that I reviewed have a complaint from you and requests from AB members to post OSCAR. Crickets...No OSCAR data. Your complaint isn't valid because you give lip service and no other action. Post OSCAR data or don't. No more complaints if you won't do something about this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Absolutely agree! I also just reviewed your previous threads. You were asked many times to post data.

Again, download OSCAR, insert your SD card in your computer and upload data.

Then follow the directions that many of us have in our signature lines and post a daily chart here.

We can’t help if you aren’t willing to do that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(12-16-2019, 10:17 AM)Wanttosleep80 Wrote: How long does it take to get consistent 8 hours of sleep with the machine?  After a month wearing the machine is all over the place.  The sleep times can be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 hours.  Also there is no improvement.  It's up and down all the time.  

I am wondering how long it takes as this is like a prison sentence for me.  I try to use it and sleep hasn't improved so I feel worse.  Already feeling socially and financially poor as I have lost a lot from lacking sleep.  It's very depressing.

The real compliance rate for cpap is 50%.  It's not some miracle cure like all the cpap-pushers (all sleep drs) claim it to be.  They want you dependent and hooked for life.  Which is exactly what cpap does and is exactly what the business model is. 

You'll have to take matters into your own hands.  By downloading your data then posting it up so the more experienced members can dissect it for you.
Do you have a laptop or desktop computer? If not, do you have a friend, family member, or neighbor who would let you download Oscar onto their machine?

Do you have a computer but lack an SD card reader? They are very cheap and just plug into the computer.

If there is some other impediment to your using Oscar, please let us know so we can try to help.
(12-16-2019, 10:17 AM)Wanttosleep80 Wrote: How long does it take to get consistent 8 hours of sleep with the machine?  After a month wearing the machine is all over the place.  The sleep times can be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 hours.  Also there is no improvement.  It's up and down all the time.  

They need these charts from OSCAR in the following order or they cannot help you. Kind words will not fix this. Click the word OSCAR and it’ll bring you to the download.

Events
Flow rate
Pressure 
Leak rate
Flow limitations 
Snore

Without the data from those charts nothing can be done.
Download OSCAR <——— Click

It's impossible to answer your questions.  Each patient is different.  Each night is different.  In fact, your goal of getting 'consistent 8 hours of sleep' is probably not remotely realistic for a number of reasons.  We don't know who you are, what you are experiencing, how you live, what you have in the way of 'other issues'...  Perhaps CPAP is the least of your worries?  If it is the most salient, along with sleep deprivation, and you are serious about getting relief from strangers, why not flesh out your circumstances in the way the strangers say they need you to do?  SUBMIT DATA!
(12-16-2019, 01:30 PM)mesenteria Wrote:

It's impossible to answer your questions.  Each patient is different.  Each night is different.  In fact, your goal of getting 'consistent 8 hours of sleep' is probably not remotely realistic for a number of reasons.  We don't know who you are, what you are experiencing, how you live, what you have in the way of 'other issues'...  Perhaps CPAP is the least of your worries?  If it is the most salient, along with sleep deprivation, and you are serious about getting relief from strangers, why not flesh out your circumstances in the way the strangers say they need you to do?  SUBMIT DATA!

Wnattosleep80 I've been on it for 10 years and I've had ZERO improvement.  I know you are frustrated.  And in a way you are reacting in the exact way the medical system conditions its patients.  You are suppose to go, 'hat in hand' to the almighty physician and they 'make it better'.  Your job as patient is to be complaint and pay the bill.  Sometimes that works, kinda. 

Unfortunately the system is corrupt and you'll have to do it yourself.  With the help of others on the board.  You must submit your charts from OSCAR.  Just take screenshots.  Nothing can be done until you do this.
monday must be a bad day to ask an innocent question. :-)

some people get quick relief and others take longer. I'm 3 years in and still waiting to wake up feeling good for more than one occasional day in a row. not all is lost though; for me it improves slowly and incrementally. no question it's going in the right direction. if you're not feeling better, something is wrong with your therapy and/or you have more than just apnea going on (an example in my case is periodic limb movement, but it can be a lot of things). digging into the data the machine produces will help you and other members figure it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 163 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 420 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 248 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 654 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 7,093 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.