Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long for centrals/clear airways to subside after starting apap?
RE: How long for centrals/clear airways to subside after starting apap?
Hi,

I have some data here as requested:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose if the CA are behaving, EPR 3 might help the flow limits. However if you feel good for the therapy, don't bother changing it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still feel tired however, no matter the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, 

I've still been having centrals regardless of EPR level. Some are precipitated by a very small leak while others are not. Also the rera and hypopnea events flow rates don't seem to differ from the surrounding breathing, if that makes sense. I don't really know what I'm looking at but I was wondering if I could have some help in understanding what is causing these events, specifically if the central apneas are treatment emergent or if they occur on their own. Also, I have some sleep study data from the at-home sleep study, though I don't know if it's as precise as it could be. Thanks for your help!

.pdf   Sleep Study.pdf (Size: 304.48 KB / Downloads: 4)
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok lets go deeper..  I have read this this thread and a bit confused.  Hoping you can fix that with some more info.

So can we get more Health history?  Example: but not limited to any medical conditions you have,  sinus or ENT issues and other stuff like this.

Medications you are on and why?

BMI or Height and weight. 

Age.

What caused you to get a Sleep study?  

What was the doctors reasoning for you to need CPAP if your AHI was 1.8?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Moderate hypertension, Possible GERD/LPR (genetic/have symptoms of)

Medications: Adderall XR 15mg (ADHD)

BMI=20.7, Height=6'2'', Weight=~165lb, Age=18

I got a sleep study because my doctor suggested it based on my symptoms of chronic fatigue, daytime tiredness, difficulty concentrating, decreased mental processing speed, and hypertension (Both on/off the Adderall). I bought a sleep test online due to the wait time being 1 month via my insurance provider.

Apparently despite my low AHI I had a high RDI and the doctor recommended trying an APAP machine, which is what I've been using.
Post Reply Post Reply
1st chart
Flow Limited Breathing
Simple arousal/recovery breath
Likely holding your breath while tossing in bed
CA event flagged
Nothing looks like CO2 Driven

2nd chart
Not as obvious but the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response.

So would the events previously stated be a cause of concern or increase fatigue/sleepiness throughout the day?
Post Reply Post Reply
In the attached screenshot the pressure seems to spike every 1.5-2 hours. Does this have anything to do with my sleep cycles and if so could a specific part of the sleep cycle be to blame for the respiratory disturbances? Also, I was wondering if I should make any tweaks to my pressure settings in order to reduce ahi further. Last night I had a min pressure of 10 so I don't know why the data says otherwise. Sorry for my incoherence in expressing my thoughts and asking questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
An RDI of 12 would be a concern, it's not there. Your AHI is fine. I would try EPR=2 and make a judgment. Increasing EPR should decrease the flow limits that are driving your pressure up periodically.
Is EPR=2 more comfortable than EPR=1.
Another trial set Max Pressure at 9 to cap your highs. The increases I don't think are helping you so let's see if that Feels Better.

Keep notes on how you feel. Do NOT look at your numbers until you record how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 377 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,784 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.