Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How serious are these numbers?
RE: How serious are these numbers?
Quote:Snore, sure -- but my wife retrained me early on and it's minimal.

Any is not normal.  I think retraining means she learned to put up with it..  You most likely have had OSA since you started snoring.  Ask your wife what year that was.  In general that is how long you had sleep apnea.
Read My Story below in my signature.  

Quote:is this as serious as they told me it is?

Yes, Any AHI above 5 is sleep apnea.   Your numbers are severe at 36.  You need CPAP as soon as you can commit your mind to it.  As others have said it most likely helped bring on the Afib. 

Quote:are these numbers not to be ignored at all and just a strong indication that I have really no other choices?
Ignored them for to long already..

Quote:So I don't expect sleep doctor expertise here (I guess)
expect better.  We will actually help you and not send you a bill...

Quote:how often should I be retested? 
Unless something requires it you wont need it.  You have it and it is a lifetime thing like HTN or afib.  

Quote:Has anyone ever gotten into CPAP stuff and then improved to the point where they don't need it again?
Very few.

Quote:There a tendency for it to make you more dependent on it?

More than every time you sleep? no not really.

Quote:The biggest problem I have (besides the usual discomfort of trying to sleep with a face-hugger on me) is that I hate the idea of adding more permanent tech to clutter up my health regime and... well, life. I mean, both of us just retired, we were hoping to travel a lot more.
You adapt.  Its your life and health.  It wont stop you from traveling.  I makes you a better healthier person.

Quote:FTR, I'm very fit, and thin.
Its not only a fat mans illness.  That is why it gets some people that are Thin "healthy"  and they think all is well. 

Quote:My wife is all for going ahead with CPAP
Listen to your wife..  She loves you and is smart.  Its going to help her to...   (read my story)

We all will be here to help you all along the way.  So like Nike "just do it". Ask for a ResMed device...
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to minimize the feeling of a mask on your face, use a nasal pillows mask like the Resmed Airfit P10. The smallest lightest interface on the market today, it is also very quiet and will not blow air on you. You can skip the titration and just get a script for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP. This device will quickly help you to zero-in on an effective pressure range, and because its "exhale pressure relief" (EPR) works like bilevel up to 3-cm of pressure, it will let you address any flow limitation or hypopnea that you have. It is a full data machine and with OSCAR software, you can document your progress, optimize and provide feedback to your doctor. A titration test is just another night in the lab, and is rarely helpful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others: your numbers are seriously bad. You need cpap for sure. Here's the thing: you will feel much better when you use it.

Will you get better on your own? No. emphatically, no.

Apparently you can rent a machine from Aoria if you want to just try this. Better to buy a Resmed airsense 10 auto and cut to the chase.

I also think starting with the P10 nasal pillow mask is a good idea.

There is a bit of a learning curve but if you do it right, you'll likely feel the benefits very soon. You may not even realize what feeling well slept feels like anymore because your normal way is to be sleep deprived.

I'm with Kaiser and they sold me a machine at a huge discount and provide different style masks to try to find one that's most appropriate. Your wife will be very happy, especially if like me you lose the sleep deprived grumpiness and gloom and become more energetic.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 4 147 5 hours ago
Last Post: arturg
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 12 340 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 196 Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 191 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 400 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 645 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,075 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.