Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Someone Explain what min, med, 95% and max mean?
Can Someone Explain what min, med, 95% and max mean?
I'm looking at my OSCAR data over the last week and my numbers are:

AHI - 1.41
OI - 0.37
HI - 0.58
CAI - 0.46
RERA - 0.32

Leak rate - 0.32
95% Leak Rate 0.00

Average pressure - 9.69
Min Pressure - 7
Max Pressure - 14
95% Pressure 0 13.58
Average EPAP - 8.69
min EPAP - 6
Max EPAP - 13

I notice that I hit my max pressure pretty often as I think I'm laying on my back quite a bit when I sleep. I almost always wake up on my back. I have a CPAP pillow, but it doesn't seem to help as I think my bunchups all happen when I'm on my back. My wife says that she still hears me snoring, too, but only when I'm on my back. I know my numbers are good and I feel good, but I'm a bit obsessive with understanding data. I feel great now whether I sleep for 5 hours or 8 hours, so thats definitely new. I can go all day without a nap and I'm often able to stay up until 12-1am (which is what I like to do) and still feel rested fine for work the next morning. 

So, I know this isn't urgent, but I just like understanding data. I do notice that my 95% Respiration Rate is pretty high and it looks like any flow limitations, snoring, events, and higher respiration rates happen when I'm on my back. I guess I need to do the tennis ball trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Someone Explain what min, med, 95% and max mean?
(07-18-2021, 03:58 PM)asuter060514 Wrote: So, I know this isn't urgent, but I just like understanding data.

No problem -- you are asking a good question.

Let's suppose you have 4000 measurements during the night. Take all those numbers and sort them from smallest to largest. The smallest is the "min[imum]". The one in the middle of that list is the "med[ian]". 95th percentile is the one where 95% of 4000 are lower than that value. You would think "Max[imum]" would be the last one in the list. But it's not because the column is mislabelled for ResMed machines. That column is actually the 99.5% percentile -- the point at which 99.5% of the values are to the left of that point. For some other brands of machines, the "max" value is actually the maximum, or last in that ordered list. The label for that column will be corrected in the next release of OSCAR.

Now an "average" calculation is different.  You just add all the values together and divide by the number of values.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The statistical entries in Oscar can be confusing to people that are not aware of what the statistics mean, or for which events the statistics are meaningful. Median means the most frequently occuring value, while Average is the sum of all data divided by the number of data points. Kind of a subtle difference, but median is most useful for the respiration rate, tidal volume, minute vent, and pressure.. the 95% value means that it is the rate or value exceeded only 5% of the time, so it is an upper bounds value that is more relevant for things like flow limitation and to know the upper level of leaks and pressure. I rarely consider the minimum or maximum, and the median and 95% values both have significance but for different reasons, and for different metrics. To complicate things, some members measure SpO2 (oxygen saturation), and the most valuable metric for that, the 5% exceedance value, is not displayed by Oscar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohhhh okay, that makes sense.

So, median value is really what matters most? My RR on the machine says it’s usually around like 17. I do wonder if I need to increase my pressure, though, as it seems I max out quite often.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider's post very nicely describes the usefulness of the various statistical measures that OSCAR provides.  One minor correction in terminology is that the "most frequently occurring value" is the mode, not the median, which is the "middle" value. OSCAR reports the median, not the mode.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 06:43 PM)asuter060514 Wrote: I do wonder if I need to increase my pressure, though, as it seems I max out quite often.

Post a screen shot of the Daily page of OSCAR to get advice on treatment questions.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 514 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  [Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? CruzVevo 6 633 01-15-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResMed EPR…someone explain? spetzal 19 1,705 01-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Lynandra
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 714 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 978 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Large Leaks - Please Explain My Oscar Leak Data Attached Sleeper396 3 1,193 07-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Sleeper396
Question [Diagnosis] Need An expert to explain roy1123 3 730 03-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.