Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to alleviate problems of half sleep/hypnagogia?
How to alleviate problems of half sleep/hypnagogia?
Lately I have had this phenomenon of drifting off at 10 PM after 5 minutes of being in bed. Then I would regain consciousness around 10:30 PM telling myself "I wasn't conscious this entire half hour, yet I know for a FACT that wasn't sleep." Its some half assed sleep where you are always teethering on the side of consciousness. Sometimes hypnagogic. 

It mostly happens at the onset of sleep. If I am having hypnagogic episodes, they are at the first hours of the night rather than the middle or end of it. Is there any explanation for this? Cause every night feels like an eternity to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to alleviate problems of half sleep/hypnagogia?
That's how I am when there's wifi & bluetooth in my house.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2020, 09:32 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: That's how I am when there's wifi & bluetooth in my house.

I don't follow. Do you mean wifi and bluetooh disturp sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2020, 10:30 PM)NoddingHacker Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 09:32 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: That's how I am when there's wifi & bluetooth in my house.

Absolutely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2020, 11:07 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 10:30 PM)NoddingHacker Wrote:

Absolutely.

You've got any respectable source on that? I think I read about EMF influence on sleep from Shawn Stevenson but he is into some wacky stuff like grounding and alt-medicine. I do not remember if Matthew Walker talked about EMFs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2020, 12:22 AM)NoddingHacker Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 11:07 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 10:30 PM)NoddingHacker Wrote: I don't follow. Do you mean wifi and bluetooh disturp sleep?

Absolutely.

You've got any respectable source on that? I think I read about EMF influence on sleep from Shawn Stevenson but he is into some wacky stuff like grounding and alt-medicine. I do not remember if Matthew Walker talked about EMFs.

I've not had to research it, due to the very clear evidence in my own personal life.

You could switch off your wifi for the night, and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is information about blue light and sleep from a trusted source:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-h...-dark-side

I will add that the OP is giving a good description of stage 1 sleep, which usually lasts for only a few minutes before the onset of stage 2 and the rest of a normal sleep cycle. So something is inhibiting the onset of stage 2.

Is that factor blue light? Blue light certainly messes with sleep architecture, though the clearest effects are on REM. See
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full...00478.2005

Wearing lenses during the evening that block blue light can help sleep:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5703049/

So either changing evening habits or using amber lenses would be a good experiment to try, it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply
EMF sensitivity (aka: Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity or EHS)  is a subject that has been around for a while.  Things like WiFi, cellular, wall transformers, even clock/radios, computers, etc., can have a negative effect on certain people that are extremely sensitive to it.  Not sure if anyone has done any long term studies about it but here are a couple of respectable links to get you started:

https://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications.../fs296/en/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26372109/
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 386 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,839 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.