Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to copy scan disk - hire a consult?
RE: How to copy scan disk - hire a consult?
I am not very computer literate, so I will try to find the time to read up on zip files or copying the SD card.

To answer some questions, yet I was surprised to be diagnosed with apnea. I knew I occasional snored, but what drove me to the sleep study was a difficulty sleeping, where I would drift off to sleep only to be jolted awake. It could happen anywhere from zero to 50 times a night.

My first study a few years ago showed no apnea. My second study about 2 years ago showed mild apnea .....I had NO knowledge of apnea or what numbers meant. I was simply told I had apnea, but I could decide not to try cpap or try it if I wanted - I chose to try it, because I was going insane trying to get sleep. I was told my AHI was 9, but the person fitting me for a mask told me it was 18, so idk.

During my titration study, I had difficulty finding a mask ...started with nasal, but I'm a mouth breather, was given a full mask, but i couldn't tolerate it sitting on the bridge of my nose due to a past major breakage. My technician was wonderful and finally dug a hybrid mirage Liberty out of the closet and it worked good for me....covered my mouth and nasal pillows up my nose. We made it to that mask at 4:00am and finally fell asleep. Was sent home at a set pressure of 9.

I adjusted to the machine in 3 days sleepy no through the night. I did not have access to my numbers, but I was just not feeling better. After weeks on therapy I called to tell them how horrible I was feeling, and when they checked my reports, I received a call to immediately come in for another sleep study.

I went for that study, and the technician told me she was given orders by the doctor to move me from cpap to bilevel, to ASV as soon as possible to cover for insurance. She scared me. What was going on that the doc wanted her to get me to ASV??

I felt various differences in breathing during that night, and just kept trying to fall asleep through it. In the morning she told me I would probably just stay on cpap with a higher pressure. Auto flexed from I think 6-16 . They set up machine so I could check numbers.

My numbers were all over the place and after advice here I narrowed my range and raised the top number. Worked great a few days but then the irratic results once again.

That's my biggest concern. How wildly different each night is......I sleep in a recliner and do not move much at all. Last night my ahi was .6. I have never had a number that low. A few days ago I woke up at 2:00am and my ahi was 22. There is no rhyme or reason to how wildly different my nights are.

I do think I have something wrong other than common basic apnea.

Sorry this is so long......I know how abnormal my experience is.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to copy scan disk - hire a consult?
I find that, when I exhale while awake and move my head down (chin closer to chest) that my airway closes in my throat. I know when sleeping, if my head is in certain positions on the pillow, it results in my airway closing the same way. I must have a starting pressure of at least 12 in order to overcome this airway closure.

You sleep in a recliner. Is it possible that you are positioning yourself in such a way so as to obstruct your breathing?

I started out with 5 starting pressure but quickly found that moving my head in various positions still closed my airway. I had to fake the machine into thinking I was having airway closures by moving my head and actually closing off my airway for at least 10 seconds for the machine to increase pressure. Then, I discovered how to set the minimum at a higher setting and slowly increased it until 12 seemed to keep my airway open the majority of times when I move my head into those airway-closure positions. I have been on 12 minimum pressure now going on 6 weeks with great results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 643 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How To Hire A CPAP Coach Perchance2Dream 3 582 03-10-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep Study Results - Should I hire a CPAP? miniwasabi 4 669 09-16-2022, 07:20 AM
Last Post: miniwasabi
  Hire sleep technician to review SleepHQ data? DreamWeaver80 4 1,402 05-20-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study Report - just looking for thoughts before consult XedSleep 0 576 05-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Last Post: XedSleep
  [CPAP] New to CPAP and figuring out how to begin while waiting for consult/tests Pawther 38 3,229 12-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  When asking for a sleep study copy greatunclebill 3 819 10-31-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.