Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR? [Treatment of central apnea]
RE: Is this central or what?
Sleeprider, I understand now about keeping my thread together so you have my permission to move the other thread posts into this one.

To answer some questions posed by bonjour, I don't have any cardiac issues, but I am at risk for things like cholesterol and calcium CT, so I see a cardiologist and she has me on atorvastatin, low dose aspirin and folic acid. I also take pepcid. I don't have a history of stroke or seizures, and no known breathing issues. I am 70 yo.

I have had a total of 7 events like this that I can recognize from the beginning of November.

Here they are:

well I guess I can only add three. So thank you for your generous help and please let me know if I can provide more information.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR?
Had some more events reported as CSR night of Dec 26. My last night like this was Dec 22. Can someone help me analyze this please?

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a bit concerned with the duration, but would like to see a couple of 5 min segments to see if this is CSR or something else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for looking at this. I think this is what you want...
Post Reply Post Reply
The first 2 example are not obviously CSR, but the 3rd example is a classical CSR waveform.

Have you consulted your doctor about this?
In your history
Any Heart conditions, especially CHF?
Any Strokes or Seizure issues?
Traumatic Brain injury?
Med use, especially pain meds or recreational drugs?
Post Reply Post Reply
GFA, I think it's time to talk to the doctor and get a screening for left ventricular ejection fraction to verify it is greater than 45% in preparation for ASV. Adaptive servo ventilation can treat the hypopnea and central apnea you are experiencing, but it is going to take some work to get you into the right therapy from where you are now. The doctor may need to use bilevel therapy first to satisfy insurance or medicare requirements that you first fail CPAP then BiPAP before being eligible for bilevel with a backup rate (ASV), which can resolve central events and periodic breathing or CSR. Before we go there, remind me if we have ever used the EPR feature on your CPAP. EPR acts like bilevel and can reduce the flow limits and hypopnea we see in your charts. It's not so much I think it is ideal, but we need to at least know how you respond to bilevel pressure or EPR (exhale pressure relief).

One other minor thing...if you can please change your avatar. We use that one in Moderator an Monitor training as "Horrible Henry". As cute as he is, it's hard not to see HH when you post.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you bonjour and Sleeprider. I don't have any of the medical conditions that bonjour references. As far as I know I'm a fairly healthy 70 year old (except for my sleep problems). And for Sleeprider, I have never used EPR.

One problem I think I have is with my doc. He runs a solo sleep practice and having him respond to my concerns is difficult. I've already told his RT about my central apnea concerns and got nowhere. I'll push some more and if that doesn't work see what I can do about finding a new doc. My plan now is to print out some of the images above and bring those along with my SD card to another visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider, CSR, and I believe GFA's centrals, should respond to EERS, What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of my CSR events reported by OSCAR occur in the last 2 hours of sleep when I am frequently not asleep but in and out of a light sleep. Here's a good example from last night

Is this typical or does it shed any light on why I am having these events?

Here is another question I have. I know we're supposed to keep our posts together in one thread, but what if we want to change the topic significantly? I want to seek advice on why my doc is so difficult to deal with and what happens when I might change to a new doc.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
My mom is a retired nurse and from what she tells me it is because doctors think that you couldn’t possibly know what you’re talking about because you haven’t gone to medical school. And because the medical world is still learning about SA so how could you know better then them. They treats nurses the same way as the rest of us also.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 125 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,663 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,551 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,700 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 42 1,222 04-09-2024, 05:17 PM
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 189 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.