Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to get rid of odor from not having water in humidifier?
How to get rid of odor from not having water in humidifier?
Last night, my machine ran out of water. There was a very strong odor that is almost chemical in nature. I tried to use the machine today but the order is still there  Of course, I did add water. 

What can I do to eliminate the odor from the machine? I have already cleaned the bravita nasal pillow. However, the smell is coming from the air flow so it must be something in the machine?

This is not the first time that I have run out of water in the humidifier but the first time that the smell has persisted despite adding water into the chamber.

I suspect that if it doesn't clear out soon I will not be able to use my machine tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to get rid of odor from not having water in humidifier?
From the paper: Soak thge humidifier for 20 minutes in a solution containing 1 cup of white vinegar and 3 cups of distillled water. Rinse well with warm water.
I also see in You tube, a guy demonstrate  cleaning his cpap with mouth wash rinse product
Post Reply Post Reply
Clean the humidifier tub possibly with soap and hot water.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 05:04 AM)vroomvroom Wrote: Last night, my machine ran out of water. There was a very strong odor that is almost chemical in nature. I tried to use the machine today but the order is still there  Of course, I did add water. 

What can I do to eliminate the odor from the machine? I have already cleaned the bravita nasal pillow. However, the smell is coming from the air flow so it must be something in the machine?

This is not the first time that I have run out of water in the humidifier but the first time that the smell has persisted despite adding water into the chamber.

I suspect that if it doesn't clear out soon I will not be able to use my machine tonight.

I would first soak the interior with vinegar or CLR, not long, maybe five minutes if there is no crusty visible salt forming, and then flush it. Once it is flushed, refill to the max fill line, add two tsp of baking sofa, dissolve, and let stand for about an hour, longer won’t hurt. Rinse well, fill with clean water, and yer back in business.

If you are rising to void at least once, might as well add one cup to the reservoir at that time to avoid repeats of the smell.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 764 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.