Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to prevent yourself from unconsciously taking off the mask?
How to prevent yourself from unconsciously taking off the mask?
I tend to get very few hours of therpay (2.5 - 6) cause I take off the mask during sleep. I don't do it by choice - just like how we might go to sleep with a blanket and wake up to find it at the floor. I find I get my best sleep when I use the mask the most.

My Dr suggested it may be due to discomfort, and that I should try to experiment with different mask types like a full mask ( I use nasal). I use a Lowensiten primsaSmart for reference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to prevent yourself from unconsciously taking off the mask?
I'm currently using a ResMed AirFit F20 or F30. Both serve me well, but I do find the F30 to be more comfortable and less intimidating. 

Initially, the F30 was great. Then, I had a period that it wasn't functioning as well as it had been. I went back to using the F20 for a while. 

I returned to the F30 and am once again happy with it's performance. I can't speak to removing my mask while sleeping. From the very 1st night of SA Therapy, it went as well as I think it could have. 

Others have suggested that wearing your mask around your house during the day or evening, prior to bed might help in the acclimation process. 

The thought of having to use a CPAP is indeed, very strange. At least for me it was. Once doing it, it wasn't all that bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible the pressure settings are a bit low due to the description. I used to rip my mask off due to air starvation. I had to bump the pressure up.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Dave. If your using a minimum pressure of 4cm, this could possibly cause you to feel what we call
"air starved." Even turning it up to 5cm could make a word of difference.

It also may be discomfort with your mask in general, maybe not a good fit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 12:53 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm currently using a ResMed AirFit F20 or F30. Both serve me well, but I do find the F30 to be more comfortable and less intimidating. 

Initially, the F30 was great. Then, I had a period that it wasn't functioning as well as it had been. I went back to using the F20 for a while. 

I returned to the F30 and am once again happy with it's performance. I can't speak to removing my mask while sleeping. From the very 1st night of SA Therapy, it went as well as I think it could have. 

Others have suggested that wearing your mask around your house during the day or evening, prior to bed might help in the acclimation process. 

The thought of having to use a CPAP is indeed, very strange. At least for me it was. Once doing it, it wasn't all that bad.

I thought once you have your first streak of consistent success in falling asleep with the CPAP, you are technically used to it?
(04-28-2020, 02:16 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It's possible the pressure settings are a bit low due to the description. I used to rip my mask off due to air starvation. I had to bump the pressure up.

Did you do it unconsciously though? How did you know it was air starvation?
(04-28-2020, 02:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Agree with Dave.  If your using a minimum pressure of 4cm, this could possibly cause you to feel what we call
"air starved."  Even turning it up to 5cm could make a word of difference.

I have asked my Dr and he assumes the 4cm is only the initial pressure. I use the word "assumes" since you can't find anything on Lowenstein devices on the web. The manuals are terrible, and the technician that gave me the machine is very unhelpful. I once asked him if my machine has auto-titiration, and he said there is no such thing as auto titration in cpap.

How you might judge what is a good fit on a mask and what isn't?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 02:16 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It's possible the pressure settings are a bit low due to the description. I used to rip my mask off due to air starvation. I had to bump the pressure up.

This was my first thought, too.

I experienced the same problem when my pressure was at my prescribed pressure of 5.  Once I raised my pressure to 6, I stopped having that problem.

It was in my sleep that I was pulling off my mask. I'd wake up later (in the morning), and see it tossed to the side. Because I stopped doing it once I raised the pressure, I have to assume that I'd been pulling it off as a sort of instinct in the night due to an intolerance for such a low pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you are on the right pressure, im afraid its a matter of time unfortunately, to get to used to it. I stopped pulling of the mask at year 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
On "how did I know" regarding mask being ripped off: when I edited or bumped up my EPAP Min pressure on my ASV, I didn't breathe through the narrow straw and mask ripping off status improved.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 10:50 PM)NoddingHacker Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 02:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Agree with Dave.  If your using a minimum pressure of 4cm, this could possibly cause you to feel what we call
"air starved."  Even turning it up to 5cm could make a word of difference.

I have asked my Dr and he assumes the 4cm is only the initial pressure. I use the word "assumes" since you can't find anything on Lowenstein devices on the web. The manuals are terrible, and the technician that gave me the machine is very unhelpful. I once asked him if my machine has auto-titiration, and he said there is no such thing as auto titration in cpap.

How you might judge what is a good fit on a mask and what isn't?

Your machine is not one that is widely used here, and I don't know much about it.  You can, however find software here in The Private Files and Links Forum.  It does make sense when your Doctor stated that 4cm is an initial pressure.  It doesn't mean you should stay at that pressure.  Looking at software data (and of course how you feel) is about the only way to tell what your optimal pressures should be.

Many here have suggested your raise your minimum pressure a bit.  It may or may not make a difference in removing your mask, but it certainly wont hurt.  You can always change it back.  
You need to access the Clinicians menu to make changes.

Directions for accessing the Clinicians Menu:

Weinmann Prisma series with buttons: When in clock mode, press and hold the rightmost buttons (menu and ramp) for a few seconds until MENU CLIN appears. Then press the + (settings) button.

Weinmann Prisma series with touch screen: Press and hold the "info" icon for a few seconds, then choose "login" to enter setup.

Now as far as a good mask fit, you can determine that by your leak rate.  Or how the mask feels in general.
Read the Mask Primer.  This may help you.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 702 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,374 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 450 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.