Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to reduce AHI index?
How to reduce AHI index?
Hi! I'm new to the world of OSA.
My AHI index without CPAP is 16-32 depending of sleep position (16 side position, 32 supine position).

I am 61 and I started using CPAP machine from 5 days; I'm using a Philips DreamStation Auto CPAP with Amara View Mask.
I tryed to sets the APAP machine in CPAP-Check mode with a fixed pressure of 9 cm H2O (pressure value identified during my in-lab sleep study), but I obtained a quite bad result with an AHI of 7.41.

Then, I switched the machine to Auto CPAP mode trying sevaral combination of pressure range but with no AHI index improvement. 
My currently AHI index (with APAP machine) is between 7.5 and 10.
The mask fit value I read on the display of DreamStation is always 100%.

I'm changing the therapy settings day by day in order to reach a good AHI index, but I had no success.
Surfing on internet I found this forum so I decided to ask for help to you.

The following are the data of the first 5 days of therapy:
17/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 4-20 cm H2O, AHI 7.70

18/08 - CPAP-Check, fixed pressure 9 cm H2O, AHI 7.41

19/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 6-14 cm H2O, AHI 10.44

20/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 6-14 cm H2O, AHI 9.59

21/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 8-12 cm H2O, AHI 7.92

Can I do something to reduce the AHI index? 
What about the Flex settings?
I used AFlex = 3 during the first 4 days; last night I changed to CFlex = 1.
Can the Flex impact on the AHI index?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to reduce AHI index?
What is the breakdown of the AHI? List the OA, CA and H rates. It seems you are making some pretty large changes to the pressure and mode on the machine and not seeing much response. The type of apnea that occurs matters. It would be ideal if you could post a chart as shown in the first two links in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to post 4 times in order to do the image upload.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 10:54 AM)Attanasio89 Wrote: I need to post 4 times in order to do the image upload.

I see the followinx message:

Please correct the following errors before continuing:

• I'm sorry, brand new members are not allowed to post links in this forum until they have 4 posts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm installing SleepyHead in order to prepare the screenshots.
Sorry for the multiple posts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 10:44 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What is the breakdown of the AHI?  List the OA, CA and H rates.  It seems you are making some pretty large changes to the pressure and mode on the machine and not seeing much response. The type of apnea that occurs matters.  It would be ideal if you could post a chart as shown in the first two links in my signature.

Since I can't post any link, I attached the first screenshot 17/08 to this post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 10:44 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What is the breakdown of the AHI?  List the OA, CA and H rates.  It seems you are making some pretty large changes to the pressure and mode on the machine and not seeing much response. The type of apnea that occurs matters.  It would be ideal if you could post a chart as shown in the first two links in my signature.

17/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 4-20 cm H2O, AHI 7.70
hxxp://i.imgur.com/FgwpAOE.png

18/08 - CPAP-Check, fixed pressure 9 cm H2O, AHI 7.41
hxxp://i.imgur.com/KdPQdjq.png

19/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 6-14 cm H2O, AHI 10.44
hxxp://i.imgur.com/SG8ycD4.png

20/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 6-14 cm H2O, AHI 9.59
hxxp://i.imgur.com/bYnhJa6.png

21/08 - Auto CPAP, pressure 8-12 cm H2O, AHI 7.92
hxxp://i.imgur.com/yOmHZJo.png
Post Reply Post Reply
Your membership has been upgraded and you can now post your own images.  Your events are all over the place with a wide mixture at many different pressures.

[Image: FgwpAOE.png]

[Image: KdPQdjq.png]

[Image: SG8ycD4.png]

[Image: bYnhJa6.png]

[Image: yOmHZJo.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Low pressure clearly result in obstructed breathing as we see from the use of ramp on 8/21 and the relatively low minimum pressure on 8/19. My impression is that you need a minimum pressure of 9 maximum pressure 14 with whatever flex level you find comfortable. I think there is a possibility that you experience some degree of positional obstruction, and either a pillow that supports your neck or a soft cervical collar could help with some of the events. The central or clear apenea don't appear to be a serious problem, and are likely a matter of sleep disturbance and you just need time to adapt to CPAP.

This is going to improve with time, but I think the higher minimum pressure on auto mode is going to help you get there faster.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Attanasio89,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more anser to your question about your graphs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 11 156 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,458 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 674 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 408 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 283 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 986 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 533 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.