Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to stop taking the mask off?
How to stop taking the mask off?
Hi all, I've been helping a friend who is new to CPAP.  He finds that he takes his mask off in the middle of the night and doesn't put it back on, then turns the machine off.  He does not remember doing it. Seems to be a subconscious kinda thing. We have turned on the mask off alarm, but it does not seem to be helping. Does anybody have any thoughts on how we might change his behavior? Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to stop taking the mask off?
Without any definitive info like OSCAR, I'd wager the pressure is too low, causing air starvation, then the mask gets ripped off. That's guess 1. There could also be leaks that's hitting the eyes or face, causing disruptions would be guess 2.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave, I have his data in my Oscar and they are good, he said no issues with mask fit or comfort.  Thanks for your feeback :-)

Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2020, 12:28 AM)Maskup N. Sleepwell Wrote: Hi Dave, I have his data in my Oscar and they are good, he said no issues with mask fit or comfort.  Thanks for your feeback :-)

Michael

It would still be interesting to see the OSCAR data
Post Reply Post Reply
The point about my mention of OSCAR and settings would be with the intent to see them. I think it's really the only way to get an answer on ripping the mask off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping with a mask on is not the norm. We're all aware of that. 

How long has your friend been on CPAP? It might be something as simple as just getting used to it. We all adapt to challenging things differently. You did mention he's doing it subconsciously. 

Tell him to keep at it and give it some more time. I'm betting slowly, but surely, he'll get the hang of it.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
You nailed the answer in your original question. This is a behavior, or habit, and to stop the behavior takes a behavior modification. We have had many members with this challenging issue, and it always comes down to the fact it is something they do and must stop. There are ways to protect the mask headgear from accidental removal, but your friend is removing the mask and turning off the machine, doing nothing to correct the behavior when he is aware of it. You might have a discussion and get down to his attitude about CPAP therapy and if he is motivated to succeed or not. To change behavior, he must put the mask on as soon as he is aware he is sleeping without it. He needs to see masking up and sleeping with CPAP as something to look forward to, that is rewarding. If it is more rewarding to remove the mask, he will continue to do it. Work out any comfort issues, then get after the bad behavior. It's a bad habit and he simply needs to break it. Using the excuse the behavior is subconscious doesn't cut it, and it deserves no sympathy. This is within his control, and he needs to accept that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
a couple ideas to deter mask removal; I'm sure you can think of more: wear socks or mittens on your hands, tape the mask to your face so you feel some discomfort when removed. after a week or so, devices like these won't be necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepless has a good list there. One addition: a cap that goes over the headgear and ties under the chin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,466 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,539 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 539 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Gross [CPAP] New RESMED 10 Won't Stop ddwalker 4 409 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.