Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to talk & even drink, with your mask on?
RE: How to talk & even drink, with your mask on?
(06-24-2015, 09:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Maybe I can get some support from PeytonA in this matter since I he has said he does this too.  I have been using nasal CPAP since 2008.  Fairly early on I learned I needed to be able to communicate with my wife after the CPAP started.  Last night a phone call came in a 1:20 AM and I even answered the phone, informing the caller "it's the middle of the night, what do you need?".

I speak on the exhale part of the cycle and have no problem preventing air from rushing out my mouth.  It is an acquired skill, and all of the control comes from pressure of the tongue against the soft palate, and control of breathing effort.  I can breath through my mouth and block the nasal air pressure, and I can equally breath both nasally and orally at the same time under pressure. I can open my mouth and not leak air, which to me makes the concept of using a chin strap completely invalid.  I can even drink water by blocking the air, taking water into my mouth and swallowing.  I can drink from a glass or a bottle.  I don't know that I can describe to you how to do this, but it's easy and natural for me, in spite of IPAP pressure that goes to 18.  

Practice makes perfect.  Keep working on it.

I never really thought about it.   Me too, I have surprised sleep techs with my ability to talk.  The ability came fairly natural too me but not at first.  The tongue on the roof of the mouth is the trick.

Thanks SleepRider for the VERY good description.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Anyone talk in their sleep? gm125 1 311 12-04-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Stuck on REM simplified example no much talk sleepyzzz 4 632 07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.